Newbie Question: Spots/Separation on inlaid box

TechieTechie

Hi,

I purchased a lovely inlaid box approx 5 years ago at a UK Christmas fair which holds special memories for me. Dusting it today, I noticed spots on the finish, and 1 inlaid piece seems to be separating (dried glue, maybe) which can be seen at the top middle right of the 1st picture (the inlaid burl is separating from the gold inlaid by just a hair).  Not so much that it's spots, but it looks like the finish is in various stages of disintegration (I can gently scrape/push the 'spots' of the finish around, most apparent on the black wood).

I love this piece, due to its sentimental value. I am new to any sort of woodworking, is restoring the finish something I can do? Or is this best left to a professional? (I am in greater Boston, I have to assume I can get help here if need be).  I have generally just wiped this clean from dust with a dry cloth so as not to disturb the finish. Maybe Pledge by mistake on a rare occasion. 20180325_170024.thumb.jpg.1b2e923b6ff7edccee9c490447366c08.jpg

Thank you

Techie

20180325_165940.jpg

It looks to be a veneered piece to me. I would take it to a professional Shop an make sure they have some good reviews. A piece like that could get ruined very easily by sanding to deep or by using the wrong stripper or heat. 

Has it been by a window in direct sunlight by any chance?

Sunlight is usually the problem when it gets spotty like that. I don’t think the pledge had much to do with it. The only finish I can think of that might be harmed by it would be shellac because it alcohol soluble I’m thinking it’s a ingredient in the spray

• Like 1