Watco Danish Oil over poly?

Walt Cook

Have neglected hardwood floors; guessing poly coating.  20 years old.  I am renting, and not yet ready to sand and refinish.  Is it safe to use Watco Danish Oil on floor as a stop-gap to partially restore luster?  Can I use Bona or Swiffer Wet Jet on it to clean, if I use Watco Danish Oil?  Any other floor restorer without sanding recommendations?  Thanks.

You can scuff up the old finish and worn areas with a maroon or gray abrasive pad (ScotchBrite) before putting a coat of varnish on. A quick wipe with a rag dampened with mineral spirits will clean up any dust & dirt left after vacuuming before you recoat. 

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

Danish goes into the wood. Poly seals off the wood so Danish can't get in.  Just redo the poly. It dries quick and overnight your floor is sealed again. You can do it in sections.

Thanks, Richard.  I was concerned about using poly and sealing in undesirable scratches and scuffs with full sanding.  Perhaps my concern is unwarranted, if the floor eventually gets sanded at some time in the future?

9 hours ago, Walt Cook said:

Thanks, Richard.  I was concerned about using poly and sealing in undesirable scratches and scuffs with full sanding.  Perhaps my concern is unwarranted, if the floor eventually gets sanded at some time in the future?

Since it's not your property, I'd get the landlord to foot the bill.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:54 PM, RichardA said:

Danish goes into the wood. Poly seals off the wood so Danish can't get in.  Just redo the poly. It dries quick and overnight your floor is sealed again. You can do it in sections.

16 hours ago, RichardA said:

Since it's not your property, I'd get the landlord to foot the bill.

Usually I would agree, but the landlord is painting the house exterior and upgrading landscaping.  Do not want to hit him with this right now, especially since the short-term fix will be inexpensive.  Good thought, though.  Thanks again, Richard.