Ideas for Oak Burl

ksting

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for ideas on what to do with an oak burl/scar that I recovered from a piece of firewood some years ago. I cut it off with a handsaw, and discovered a near perfect circular cavity within that didn't penetrate right through. The piece is very solid and structurally sound apart from this hole, but there is some sort of lumpy growth at the bottom of the hole. Perhaps what happened is a branch was trimmed from the tree and the would healed over, resulting in this mound of wood.

Originally I was thinking a shot glass, simply because the hole is already that shape and size, but I am open to any interesting ideas. I do want to maintain and highlight the unique quality of the grain (note the cool starburst effect around the edge of the hole, which is much more apparent when dampened with water).

I would also be interested in hearing ideas on how to process the piece, as I've never worked with an awkwardly shaped piece of wood such as this. I've clamped it down and trimmed the bottom flat so it will stand like a cup, and sanded both cut surfaces to get a better idea of the grain pattern. It looks like it took 35-40 years for the burl to form, just out of curiosity.

Here are some pictures, showing the piece before and after the cut and sand.

post-3752-0-10213700-1297136655_thumb.jp

post-3752-0-71753800-1297136664_thumb.jp

post-3752-0-69002600-1297136677_thumb.jp

post-3752-0-64766300-1297136686_thumb.jp