Metal panels for ceiling and walls?

Ron Hampe

I recently bought a large cnc and to accommodate it need to relocate my shop from the basement to our 1400 sq. ft. detached block garage. This will require adding a new 200amp service, insulation and an hvac system. Hope to have the walls and wiring done soon and while I really like the idea of using metal panels I am concerned about the noise both inside and out of the shop. It has two bays that share the same roof line. One is 12' high with a 12'x 12' door and the other 8' with 3 three 9'x 7' doors and I plan to add removable exterior insulated panels in front of the three smaller ones. Nearest neighbor is 400 feet away but we are on top of a hill with few barriers to dampen the sound.  Your opinions please. 

Thanks

Rigid foam makes a pretty good option over block and behind metal. Noise in the shop is expected, ear protection comes in many forms. CNC is a big router, correct? I am not sure I’d worry about 400 feet away unless you plan to run it all hours of the night.

Having said that, I am curious why metal though? Is that a budget choice? Have I misunderstood and you are asking about metal only on the outside? Again, metal hides a good layer of rigid in furring strip depths that can mitigate a lot of sound transfer. Around here, a lot of the arched Quonset buildings get furred and then spray foamed. 

Roxul safe-n-sound or cotton batts are better and cheaper than foam insulation for sound control. That along with multiple layers of dense gypsum wall board will really quiet things down. It's best to decouple the wallboard from the studs with resilient channel.

7 hours ago, Tpt life said:

Rigid foam makes a pretty good option over block and behind metal. Noise in the shop is expected, ear protection comes in many forms. CNC is a big router, correct? I am not sure I’d worry about 400 feet away unless you plan to run it all hours of the night.

Having said that, I am curious why metal though? Is that a budget choice? Have I misunderstood and you are asking about metal only on the outside? Again, metal hides a good layer of rigid in furring strip depths that can mitigate a lot of sound transfer. Around here, a lot of the arched Quonset buildings get furred and then spray foamed. 

I plan to add 2"x 6" interior insulated walls and was asking about using the metal panels for the finished surface of those.  They would be far easier to hang and come already painted which saves both time and money.  Rethinking now though that a drop ceiling may be a better choice for it as it would give me ready access for running wires etc. and if I place the insulation (R38) on top of the bottom chord of the truss I could easily run new ducts for the dust collectors.