Dust Collection

Don65

Ok everyone, just made the jump from the standard shop Vac, to that of the Jet dc-1100a dust collector. I'm planning on keeping out side of the garage ( covered in a shed next to the garage) and cutting a hole into the shop. The collector says it can have a 6" or two 4" hoses. Is it best to use a 6" then step down or just run two 4 inch hoses? I don't have a large shop at all so is 67" worth it?

any comments would help.

Don

Run the 6" hose from the DC into the shop; try using some rigid PVC or metal DC pipe; the ridges in the plastic flexhose will greatly diminish your CFMs. Once in the shed, you can reduce to 4" for a flex hose. I'd put the blast gates right on the 6-4 splitter.

Something to think about though is that the DC will pull air from your shop and emit it in the shed. If you heat or cool your shop, this isn't what you want. Solvang has nice weather though :) The air will also need to be replaced in the shop. If you shop is really air tight, that's additional load on the DC. Usually stuff is leaky enough to not matter, but once you install, run it with everything shut then slowly open a window and see if you notice a difference in the load noise.

Run the 6" hose from the DC into the shop; try using some rigid PVC or metal DC pipe; the ridges in the plastic flexhose will greatly diminish your CFMs. Once in the shed, you can reduce to 4" for a flex hose. I'd put the blast gates right on the 6-4 splitter.

Something to think about though is that the DC will pull air from your shop and emit it in the shed. If you heat or cool your shop, this isn't what you want. Solvang has nice weather though :) The air will also need to be replaced in the shop. If you shop is really air tight, that's additional load on the DC. Usually stuff is leaky enough to not matter, but once you install, run it with everything shut then slowly open a window and see if you notice a difference in the load noise.

What Paul said there about the heat. Not the best idea putting it outside without a enough return.

Thanks for the info, as for the shop, well lets say it's so small the gargare door needs to be open to work in there. I should have a sigh that says "Fair weather WoodWorking"

I have the same model with the filter cartridge. It was a big step up from my original Reliant unit. I use 4" PVC for my system and hooked up both 4" connectors from the wye to my system using flex hose since the hook up distance was short. I agree with the advice to run 6" as far as possible in your case.

Although not terribly noisy it will be nice having it outside. Don't forget to go out periodically and give the bag a shake to dislodge the filter cake. It's like a new machine when you do that.

Alex

One other option is to put vents on the the bottom of the shed to the garage. (Assuming the shed is connected to the garage, that is.)

This will allow air to return to the shop, providing that return loop, but I don't know if it will reduce the heating and cooling of the air being returned. No blower should be required for this, as it is strictly a passive return. I'd imagine you could use the same size material you use for the inlet ducting. I'd put it at the bottom of the wall, and put a louvered vent (or maybe a dryer vent flap) on the return line, so you have the option to close it when you aren't running the Dust Collector.

If you don't share a wall with the shed, you will need some other way of getting air in. If you don't have heat on the incoming air, I'd consider some sort of intake vent that you can close when you aren't in the shop.