Douglas Fir Wood Dining Table

tsheridan

I am considering constructing a dining table of Douglas Fir for outdoor use

The table will be situated on a deck - that has a roof over it - but exposed on 3 sides -

It will be situated in eastern LI NY - I was anticipating purchasing a "duck" cover for when the table is not in use 

i was informed that I should store the table indoors during the winter - since the wood could crack due to expansion/contraction

Given the size and weight of the table I am envisioning - this would be a deal breaker 

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated 

If you can make it in a way that won't stop the wood from expanding and contracting i don't know why it would split. If your not familiar with wood movement start with some research there. Posting some rough plans for your design there are a few of us on here that can probably help answer some more detailed questions.

If i remember right from NY you have humid and humid. Drastic changes in humidity are what cause wood to move the most and if constrained crack. You might be fine but it will come down to design.