Professional Pondering

HoboMonk

A friend met up with me today as a follow-up to a lesson on how to make a traditional Japanese carpenter's tool box.

I make mine from hand-selected cedar that I buy in volume from a local artisan saw mill.

My wood costs are about $6 per box.

He bought some crappy grade cedar from GnomeDepot and paid $38 for the same amount of wood.

He still doesn't understand why I haven't been in a "big box" in about 10 years.

Then my local artisan saw mill called with a hot lead on a commission project...

A friend met up with me today as a follow-up to a lesson on how to make a traditional Japanese carpenter's tool box.

I make mine from hand-selected cedar that I buy in volume from a local artisan saw mill.

My wood costs are about $6 per box.

He bought some crappy grade cedar from GnomeDepot and paid $38 for the same amount of wood.

He still doesn't understand why I haven't been in a "big box" in about 10 years.

Then my local artisan saw mill called with a hot lead on a commission project...

Know exactly what you mean. I use a husband and wife French mill just outside Ruffec in the Charente Dept I wouldn't go anywhere else. For the laughs, at least. I've never seen either of them down, even when they have had very good reason to be. The price is right, and the service above and beyond the call of duty.