Recycling some great lumber

IveGotWood

I recently got about 90 bf of Brazilian koa flooring that was left over after helping a friend install a new floor in his house. I am really excited about using some of this wood in some projects, but I have been running in to some trouble when I go to mill the lumber. Since the stock was intended to be flooring, it has some kind of finish (I think its poly) on the top. My first thought was just to run all of it through the planer, but my blades have been wearing out extremely fast and I know the finish is the culprit. Does anyone have any good ideas about a quick way to strip the finish off these boards? Thanks for your help.

I recently got about 90 bf of Brazilian koa flooring that was left over after helping a friend install a new floor in his house. I am really excited about using some of this wood in some projects, but I have been running in to some trouble when I go to mill the lumber. Since the stock was intended to be flooring, it has some kind of finish (I think its poly) on the top. My first thought was just to run all of it through the planer, but my blades have been wearing out extremely fast and I know the finish is the culprit. Does anyone have any good ideas about a quick way to strip the finish off these boards? Thanks for your help.

Will,

On my old home that we remodeled, there was a good 1/32" of old, very hard enamel paint (probably lead based). I had my DeWalt 735 and was wearing the blades out very quickly. I found that one key thing was to make sure on my first pass I had the cut depth deep enough so that the majority of the cut was beneath the finish layer. That helped a lot. My blades still wore extremely fast, but not as bad in comparison. The trade of from not have to use a stripper was well worth the cost of sharpening the blades. I have three sets I rotate through.

Problem is that they seem to dull after only a few passes. I'm thinking it would take quite a few sets of blades to plane 90 bf and at $50 a set that could get really expensive. If I could sharpen the dewalt blades then it could be a possibility but I've read reviews of the blades indicating they shouldn't be sharpened. I'm unclear on this.

Will

Vic,

Thanks for the info. I also have a Dewalt 735 but was under the impression that the knives are not sharpen-able. Are you using stock knives?

Thanks,

Will

Yes, I've sharpened mine quite a few times. I think they have disposable too, though. One of these days, I'm gonna get the 15 or 20" helical head Grizzly planer.