yet there still few stock in the market, new stanley made in england

walidantar

hello, yesterday i've bought my first ever serious woodworking hand tool, it's my first ever hand plane, i was seeking for something cheep less than 50$ to learn using it and start with but the planes on the market were i'm resident are mostly of the junk stuff - indinan - chinese and so on except those from stanley are somehow of a higher rank in quality and made but most of them are those made in mexico .. because of reviews that tell it needs some preparation specially flatting the sole and  the frog surface and other things which is hard to me as i'm a beginner, i was in hesitate buying a Stanley, i was interested in aximinster rider 5 1/2   but it will cost me about 80$ for shipping and taxes beside it's cost which will sum up about 200$ and at the time i can't afford it so i preferred to get something from the local market to start with and to be cheap, before i had to settle my decision  on the stanley bailey no.4 'mexican' as i couldn't either find no.5 at first i found an old small store that sells tools - it actually was a dealer for stanley some decades ago, i was searching for number 5 and 6 to decide which one and by luck i found he still have some stock 'made in england' from the time he was a dealer as i understood from him .. the count in his stock seams to be very low, he has no.5 for about 74.5&, no.6 for about 101.25$ and no.7 for about as i remember 110.5$, ever he has a plow plane for about 140$ with 18 blades and a manual drill - all made in england, a little  higher in price than those made in mexico but the quality is noticeably to be better ..  the sole look pretty flat out of the box, tomorrow il check it out on a tempered glass desk surface as i don't have any measuring equipment or gauges and the rulers i have are bent. i payed than i've planed but i know about it that old Stanley planes are hopefully better than their new planes made in mexico, those from england i believe are not top notch but it's better for me than a one that would need a lot of work to prepare and i took the no.6 as i didn't find the no.5-1/2, my challenge starting in woodworking 'for interest and fun' is flattening and square edging so i decided to get a medium sized one that is better for jointing .. hesitated between 5 and 6 then settled on no.6 to start learning setting it up and learn using it .. i consider it as a general purpose plane - it's just a little longer than no.5-1/2 .. it's the best option i could find in the local market and i'm happy with it :)

just liked to say there are still some better stainley planes not sold yet but seem to be at the end of the count i think .. it's a good luck for who decided to buy a modern stanley but find one of these .. i've seen on the net that some are asking ridiculous prices for those made in england and still not new/not-unboxed before  

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

• Like 2

Wow nice looking plane especially for a starter! It's a long journey you've begun :)

I've seen some decent deals on eBay now and then ; of course buyer beware. 

I bought this old thing at an antique store while looking at old furniture  :) I ended up replacing the blade and chip breaker but am supremely happy to have it. 

8A409F8B-3C6E-42F6-B616-28FC5EE21F54.jpeg

@Chip Sawdust congrats sir :) , no.8 are very rare and those new ones are ridiculously over-rated and over priced as tolerance and precision in general - it feels something like a scam - i believe it still not worth what they ask when it comes to high rate precision - for example about hundred dollars for a 4" try square  keeping people go cheep to another side of scam - nothing much in between ..  now a days metal work is becoming more forgiving and friendly , welding by paste and torch, joining like joining woods (dovetails), if someday in my life i get into metal work i'll try to make the sole of a 24" bevel-up plane and try to complete it .. you have a great luck fining such a nice interesting tool .. lie-nielsen's no.8 is 475$, i don't now for its rareness or quality and tolerance and precision of their machines