Blister Button Cure

Mark J

I was griping about the foolishness of blister type buttons on a woodturning forum when one of the members wrote back:

"Hi,
For all who suffer from "Blister Button Switches," there is a reprieve. My X-wife is blind and uses numerous appliances, etc. that have these cursed switches. But, the blind community has long used small, self-adhesive plastic pieces called "Bump Dots" which allows them to both locate and actuate the appropriate switch(es) on said appliances. They are relatively soft. come in various sizes and colors and are available on Amazon, Blindaccessories markets, and probably in many department and craft stores as well."

For those interested I was able to find these on the shelf at Bed Bath and Beyond as well as at various on line suppliers, also check under the name "bumpers".  They are the little plastic buttons glued to the iside of a cabinet door that keep it from banging. 

You can buy a variety pack and try the buttons on your switch before removing the adhesive backing. The fat round ones are easiest to feel, but were not flexible enough to acctuate my switches. The soft flat ones seemed to work best. 

20190129_143518_HDR.thumb.jpg.bdf875d5eb31efd9fac7b6c58d640b86.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@derekcohen pursuant to our conversation in your other thread:

20190408_072145.thumb.jpg.848ba186a52281548ed9a33c77b5a466.jpg

I used the flat round bump stops sized to match the blister.  They work well and are definitely worth doing.

I originally tried using a larger one for the stop button, but there were more "misses" than with the smaller one, so I replaced it.  They've been on there for a few projects and appear secure.  

I still have a paddle switch interposed on the power cord which I still think is a good idea--even though I keep hitting it by accident.

20190408_072513.thumb.jpg.23f6a04f25fc3e4d1cdd7107b5cf9b44.jpg