Linseed oil use

Nancy Orr

Oak bathroom cabinet. Did  doors and base frame using 1000 steel wool and mineral spirits then linseed oil rub.  Looks great.  But apparently the three small drawers had a varnish of some sort that the steel wool did not remove and the linseed oil did not penetrate and the finish looked horrible.  I ended up stripping the three drawers - now they are light in color with no finish at all left on them.  Should I get a medium to dark oak stain and put on them first before the linseed oil and hope that it matches the color of the rest of my cabinet?  I am afraid the linseed oil only will not darken the oak enough to match the rest of the cabinet. Your thoughts?

More than likely you would have to just use a toner to darken it up ever so slightly.  If it were me, I would honestly just strip everything town completely and start from scratch.  trying to match that color would be entirely too hard considering the color of the wood will change when linseed oil is added over the stain.  

• Like 1