Shellac and Dye

Coyote Jim

Shellac can go bad. Alcohol is the solvent, but it attracts water. An opened can begins to attract water. Canned shellac, waxed or unwaxed, should be used within six months of opening. Water and shellac don't work.

I know someone will chime in and say they've got a can from 1984 that they still use, but I wouldn't trust them or the can of shellac.

I stopped using canned shellac years ago and now make fresh shellac using dewaxed flakes whenever I want it. I always use a 1 lb cut and never have problems as it's fresh and I can make just what I need per project.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:27 PM, Chestnut said:

Yeah .... more shellac might not work there. Dining tables get abused pretty heavily and if you spill you vodka while mixing your martini it will damage the shellac as it's alcohol soluble.

The flip side here is that shellac is very repairable. Scratches and marks in the finish and such can be readily repaired by applying more shellac.  

• Like 2