Peacock Oil

OakStBeachBum

Lie Nielsen is now selling something called "Peacock Oil".  It comes in three different colors and claims to be "A unique blend of the world’s finest traditional oils, resins and waxes that together produce a breathable, water-repellent, figure enhancing and grain strengthening finish."

• Has anyone tried this stuff out? Thoughts?
  • What category of finish would you put this in?
  • Can another finish (poly?) be used as a topcoat over this stuff?

Thanks for the help!

I bought some to try out. Tested it on a scrap piece of zebrawood. It was fine, but to my eye it looked like a lot of other oil and wax blends. Admittedly, I didn’t do as much careful surface prep as I would on a real project, so I may not have been giving it a fair chance. Been too busy to do much woodworking lately, but I’m planning to make some small boxes for charity auctions soon, and I might try it out on one of them to see how it looks on an actual project.  If I do, I’ll post an update.

• 1 year later...

I have used Skelton Saws Peacock oil many times. Love it. I have not looked into what is in it but it leaves a great finish. I do sand to 600 and I have used it with a smoothing plane only application. Never had any issues with it and I really do like the finish. It has a good lustre without being glossy.