Handplane Tune-up.

Calix

Hello Guys!

I hope somebody could help me out with this one... I am tunning up a new handplane, I just found out the machining of the frog is not what I expected, so I am flattening the frog across the top, but here is my question... Should it be completely flat including the top of the slope? I mean, the area beside the protruding lateral adjustent rivet. Or is it ok just to flatten the area from the levercap screw to the bottom?

I hope to get an answer soon!

Thanks a lot!

Sounds like you're talking about a bevel down bench plane - #3 to #8, right?

I have recently tuned my grnadfather's #4 - first time ever. There were mill marks on the frog and sole seating. I didn't remove the lateral adjustment lever because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back together again.

To prepare the sloping surface (which holds the blade) I used a second cut file flat on the surface, and covering as much of the surface as possible, to remove the worst of the marks. Then I cut a U shaped strip of sandpaper, 150 grit, glued to the blade. Blade on a flat surface, frog on top of the blade with the lateral adjustment wheel in the blade slot. Then I gently rubbed forward and backwards until I had a fairly smooth surface. I didn't try to remove all the marks, just get 50% of the surface shiny smooth.

I managed to get the base of the frog flat with a small second cut file, same with the sole seating, but I couldn't get to the surfaces next to the mouth. Later, I found some smarter galoot who simply stuck sandpaper to the feet of the frog, then rub fore and aft seating the frog on the sole - good as anything, better than nothing.

I flattened the whole surface simply because it was easier and more controlled. I think it's very easy to create a slight camber otherwise.

I found the whole process to be a very feely, touchy thing. Plain common sense helps a lot. If you feel you're in control, you should get a good result. If things are a bit wobbly, then you won't, so change tactic. Whether this type of tune up (to the frog) helps or not I have no idea - but the psychological effect is a great morale booster.

See Common sense and sensitivity for my notes on the experience.

John

Hello John.

Greetings from México!

That is a great idea. Sandpaper glued on the blade, blade on a flat surface, this way a can get to those hard to reach spots on the frog. Thanks for the advice! I will try that tonight.

Just like you, I am tryng sandpaper with all my sharpening and I find it really therapeutic, I mean, being in the shop, listening to your favorite music, a cold beer, and your complete attention to every movement of your fingers and hands so you can get that mirror polish, and a scary sharp tool. Much different from the noisy grinder.

Armando.