Delta T3 fence wont stay clamped.

Verbalkint99

Hello. I just upgraded the fence on my Craftsman 113 table saw to the Delta T3. I managed to get it installed and aligned properly however I am having an issue with the fence itself not staying clamped. I have tried it with the adjusting screws loosened and tightened. It almost seems like the handle is not allowing the cam to swing down far enough. When I try to clamp the fence in place it holds for a couple seconds and then the handles slowly starts release until pops up. Anyone familiar with this issue?

When my Bessy fence is locked, the locking handle is down below horizontal. I assume yours should be the same way. If not, I wonder if your adjusting screws are way too tight not allowing the cam to rotate all the way to locking position. Also, mine has a "finger" that drops down between the rail and the cam. If yours has the same, maybe there are some issues with that.

I'm an only familiar with my Bessy fence. So, this may not help much. My cam lever actually bears on a steel "finger" that swings down to a position between the cam and rail. If I remove the fence and then put it back on, sometimes the finger does not swing down properly and then my cam lever will do what yours is doing. Since your fence is new, maybe paint or something is causing your "finger", if it has one, to stay up. Check it closely to see if there should be something between the fence rail and cam lever. Could you have a missing part? Do you have a parts diagram?

I checked a parts diagram and it looks like your system does have the "finger" I mentioned. That finger should also have a plastic or nylon face on it. If either of those are missing, your cam will not lock down tight.

I cannot find a T-3 manual online.  Is it nearly identical to the T-2.  The fence clamps to its own rail so the clamping is isolated to the fence and rails; that is, your saw has nothing to do with it (thank you Capt. Obvious :D).

I cannot identify the parts by number because I do not have the manual but.  The adjustment screws that are on the opposite side of the tube from the handle cam and the cam are the important parts here.  If the handle is fully engaged and the fence is not tight, remove the fence and tighten the aforementioned screws. 

These screws primarily adjust left to right alignment so that will have to be reset once we are past the tightening issue.  Adjust these screws in a half a turn and see if the cam is not adequately tight.  If not try another half a turn until the cam is adequately tight. Once you have the fence staying put as designed you can adjust the alignment using these same screws.  If the T-3 is significantly different that the T-2, forget everything I wrote :lol: