First refinishing project

wynned

Hi,

This is my first post. This site is great for a novice like me. I am thinking about tackling my first refinishing project.

I am not sure of the type of wood or finish this desk has and am hoping someone might be able to give me an idea from the pics. I thought it might be quartersawn oak. I've was told it may be tigerwood? Not sure on that as I had not heard of that species but it does not seem like it based on what I've researched online.

Is it better to use a random orbital sander or a chemical stripper or something else? Is there a way to tell what finish is one there. It feels like there is some type of protective coat over a stain.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

post-3971-0-18397700-1298816561_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-04965000-1298816608_thumb.jp

Hi,

This is my first post. This site is great for a novice like me. I am thinking about tackling my first refinishing project.

I am not sure of the type of wood or finish this desk has and am hoping someone might be able to give me an idea from the pics. I thought it might be quartersawn oak. I've was told it may be tigerwood? Not sure on that as I had not heard of that species but it does not seem like it based on what I've researched online.

Is it better to use a random orbital sander or a chemical stripper or something else? Is there a way to tell what finish is one there. It feels like there is some type of protective coat over a stain.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

The top looks to be the same but, it is hard to be certain, but, the end is absolutely quarter sawn Oak. No other timber displays medullary rays like it. No idea the finish as pics are never that good for deciding. If it were mine, and assuming the whole is solid timber and not veneered. Id start by trying an unseen surface with a good paint stripper to get rid of the finish. The top doesn't look to have anything much left of any finish. This I would start by scraping or belt sanding CAREFULLY. Once you've got it back to bare wood the finishing world is your oyster. Loads of elbow grease with ever finer grades of sand paper until you're certain you cannot improve it then apply your chosen finish. Traditionally it would be an oil finish, or wax. Or what ever you feel you like. thankfully there are no longer any hard and fast rules on what is 'proper'

All the best

Pete