Add on Sliding cross cut to a table saw.

curlyoak

I have had two over the years. The Excalibur sheet goods sliding table which was very big and not very accurate so I found it to be more in the way then anything. It was eventually sold and I went to the JessEm Mast-R-Slide which I loved! Both were on my PM66 and when I sold that saw the JessEm went with it. In my work flow now I probably won't get another one iuse cross cut sleds instead. Ultimately like a lot of things with tools if it is easy to use and accurate they are great if not they can be a pain. I experienced both and like I said one was virtually worthless the other I loved. Good luck! 

A couple of years ago I added this sliding table.  I really like it, between this and my Osbourne miter gauge I haven't used my cross cut sled since I installed it.  Sawstop makes one, it is more expensive and I was able to look at it prior to  buying and discovered that it is nearly identical to the Grizzly, (the sawstop fence is a more elaborate).  Both tables are made in the same factory.  There are a number of people on the web that gripe about the fences on these tables.  The gripe stems from them not have a positive stop at 90* and therefore it takes a lot of time to set up for a cut.  This is kind of silly, since it is easy to set 90 with your table saw fence.  It takes me about 30 seconds to set 90 and cut.  Mine is extremely accurate and using the 5 cut method it is less than .001 over 25".  It has made my life much easier when crosscutting large lumber or ply.

slider2.JPG

slider3.JPG

That looks good Bob. My delta has no space between the bed and the rail for the fence. But I think I could add spacers.I like the idea.I would consider the Jessem but they don't make it anymore. I think the Grizzley is the only one available in my price range. From the looks of things I think I could still use my incra mitre jig. And the loss of the left top piece is given back with the slide. I guess when not using the slider it becomes part of the saw bed. So if I am right then nothing lost when removing a chunk of casted steel. Today I had a cross cut of 78" 18" wide from an 8ft piece. Would it cut that also if it is 24" wide x 96? I could cut it close to make it lighter if that matters. Is there a means of clamping the stock to the slider? Are there longer fences that would fit the grizzly?

This is very valuable info for me. I appreciate being able to live your experience through your pics and words. Way beyond helpful! 

There is a 9x15 extension table that comes with the slider, that makes a total of 28" of support from the blade.  I rarely need that additional support so I don't have it attached.  When I need to cut a long piece I support the end of the stock with a roller stand so it doesn't pop up on me.  There are t-tracks in the fence, so adding a hold downs could be done, but clamping to the fence itself, I don't know.  

The fence on the Saw Stop slider allows for a 58" inch stop.  I checked into buying just the fence but it was stupid expensive.  If I needed something like that on a regular basis I would probably make a sacrificial fence.