time management with a home shop

CJC5151

I have recently "gone pro". I thought that one way to get started and save some money was to start my buisness in my home shop. This is proving to be more difficult then expected. Not because of a lack of space but because of time management. I am 35 years old and have a young family. My wife and 2 young girls mean everything to me. That being said, it seems that since im at home its real easy for my girls to sneek out and see dad during the day or for my wife to come out and say "the girls are sleeping, im just going to run to the store for a few things". Then i feel like a bad dad or husband if i say something to my wife or send the girls back inside. Dont get me wrong, I love when my 5 year old comes out and says hello. I melt when she says she just wanted to tell her daddy she loves him, but I cant help to think i would be more productive if i had offsite shop space. has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you or how are you dealing with it.

Having a shop or office in your home is a VERY dangerous thing. You have to seperate work from family and it is very important that you give the family as much if not more of your time than you did when you were employed by someone else. Make sure that you leave the shop behind when you quit for the day and try not to spend more time in your shop than you would at any other job.

My advice is to encourage them to visit you on your break time or lunch time. It will put structure in your day and give them some guidelines for when they can stop in to see you. You will need the support of your wife on this so the children understand that your work needs to be uninterrupted. Explain to her why this is important to you because she may not understand. Also, you need a regular break for your own health and safety and they need your time. When break is over it's time to get back to work and that a good lesson for them to learn too.

I have recently "gone pro". I thought that one way to get started and save some money was to start my buisness in my home shop. This is proving to be more difficult then expected. Not because of a lack of space but because of time management. I am 35 years old and have a young family. My wife and 2 young girls mean everything to me. That being said, it seems that since im at home its real easy for my girls to sneek out and see dad during the day or for my wife to come out and say "the girls are sleeping, im just going to run to the store for a few things". Then i feel like a bad dad or husband if i say something to my wife or send the girls back inside. Dont get me wrong, I love when my 5 year old comes out and says hello. I melt when she says she just wanted to tell her daddy she loves him, but I cant help to think i would be more productive if i had offsite shop space. has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you or how are you dealing with it.

My wife and I both work from home and we have two small kids. I know how you feel It can be difficult and frustrating at times but I wouldn’t change it for the world. It’s great to come in the house for breaks and lunch and I can also help my wife when needed. Our family does life together and we make it work.

Here are some thoughts:

-Communication is key! My wife and I talk about our schedules before each week and make sure our calendars jive. I’m flexible and she is to. It sounds like you are the only bread-winner. I would clearly communicate your needs to your wife so that she knows what’s needed and you can come to an agreement.

-We’ve limited traffic through my shop. I get startled easy so we decide my breaks before I go out. That way I can still see the kids but it’s more on my terms.

-We have our family time more in the morning than at night. This fills us all up so we can have a longer work time later. I’ll often go back to the shop after the kids are in bed.

-Having an offsite shop adds much overhead. We can’t afford to do that.

I hope these thoughts help.

Congrats on going pro!

Having a shop or office in your home is a VERY dangerous thing.

I don't think this is a universal truth. It depends on the individual. Working at home works for some people and doesn't for others.

At least part of it boils down to this: If woodworking is what you DO, then I agree that having a shop away from home that you only go to during working hours is probably a good thing. That way you don't get sucked in to working all the time and letting life pass you by.

But on the other hand, if woodworking is what you ARE (meaning that you enjoy it to the point where it's part of your self identity), then having your shop two steps away from the back door can only be a good thing. There's no commute, lots more freedom to manage your time, and the chance to tinker with your tools rather than watch TV after the kids have gone to bed.

-- Russ

• Like 1

I agree with Pete. I think the breaks are important. And its wonderful to see your family during them.

I differ in that when I have breaks I come to see them. My shop and office are both "off limits" during the work hours. That way when I go to work I am going to work. However, I take breaks at fairly regular times and when I do, I come in to see them. That gives the benefits of the breaks (for me and for them). It also shows them my discipline when I "have to go back to work". I think children can learn from that. I do keep my phone in my pocket when I'm in the shop in case of a real emergency my wife can call me.

What I really like about this system is that it prevents me from either having to check the door or what ever during important operations. My concentration is not split. Nobody sneaks up on me. There's not much worse than running material through the tablesaw and having that feeling that somebody is behind you.... then out of the corner of your eye you see their foot or something and realize "There is somebody there."

I find my system of taking breaks on my time safer and very effective.

If I can add one more thing, when ever you feel your children are ready for it I'd suggest you sit down with them. You can tell them that daddy loves them very much, but you have to work to be able to aford the things they need. Explain to them how it works, how important it is. It can be a great teaching moment. Do it with your wife and she will help. Franklin said it well. Communication is the key.

Hey good luck. The fact that you are concerned about this shows that you are probably a great dad and a thoughtful husband.

For the first five years of being self employed I worked from a shop twenty feet from the house. Although I only have one daughter we had a strict rule. From 8 in the morning until 10.30am Daddy was at work. Then for about twenty minutes I'd be in for a cuppa and usually a cuddle. The it was back to work until 1pm. from then until 2pm I was having a shared lunch with my wife and daughter. From 2pm until 4pm I was back in the shop, then ten minutes or so for another house session. Then I'd work on usually until 6pm before coming in and staying with my wife and daughter until my daughter went to bed. At that time I'd read to her and she'd be in bed before 7pm usually 6.30 then, if something was pressing I'd go back into the shop. It was great fun and don't ever remember any complaints. except from neighbours if I made too much noise late at night. I then bought a larger shop ten miles from home, but after six years I got fed up with travelling to it and sandwiches for lunch, so I sold up and moved us all to another house with a bigger shop in the garden which did until I moved to France. Now of course my daughter is grown with kids of her own I have different wife but my shop now is fifty yards from my front door and I love it. It's still out of bounds to everyone except me and my wife though, that's mainly to do with insurance.

I'm sure if you adopt a sensible structure, explain it carefully to your wife, and, if they are old enough yet to understand, your children. You can actually make your visits to the house during the day into something of an adventure for them.

Best of luck, one word of warning though. Be very careful that you don't allow the work to take over completely. I know from experience how easy it is to just 'spend a few more minutes on this', that suddenly becomes midnight.

Pete