T2 Fence install on Delta TS350 question

A_Vitale

So I have mounted my new T2 fence on my Delta TS350 and am wondering if I really need to put on the back rail (located on the outfeed side). The reason for me asking is that I would like to get my outfeed table I am currently building as close as possible. I also would prefer to not have to drill and tap out any more holes! lol

Overall the fence seems to lock fine wiithout it but am I missing anything...should I just not be lazy and put it on??

If I am not mistaking all the back rail does is keep the fence supported just a smige (technical term)above the table. Assuming your cast iron wings are perfectly level and won't snag the fence the only other thing that I would be concerned about is sawdust getting in your way. If enough dust or a chip get wedged under the fence it could throw your cut off a couple of degrees. Normally it might pass over the dust. It also changes the wear point on the fence. That may not matter in the short term.

I have the T2 on my TS. The back rail is an important part of the fence system. As Chad stated it does hold the fence off the cast iron surface, and it also is surfaced to allow the fence to glide smoothly. Another important part is since the T2 is not as heavy as the biesmeyer, there is a small hook on the fence that goes around the rail to prevent the fence from lifting up to far when moving it and locking it down.

I have been thinking through the same issue as you described. The one thought I had was to bolt on another piece of angle iron on the back. You may need longer bolts, but you would put the back rail on first as normal, then the angle iron on next with the horizontal portion opposite of the guide rail. That would give you the support you are looking for, however you will still need some space between the rail and the outfeed table.

The other thought, and the solution I am leaning towards is a free standing outfeed table.