Retired Teacher

Gwenn

I have applied 3 coats of Danish Oil, spaced about 6 mo. apart, on a kitchen cart.  Last application was over 1 year ago. 

I would like to apply a finish that will not fade or need retouching. Can I use a poly gel or Minwax stain, and what prep do I need to do beforehand. I have never done a project like this before. 

Thank you for your suggestions. 

Are you planning to stain the project.  As for Danish oil, , you didn't have to wait so long.  A week to 10 days is all you need between coats.  What kind of wood are you working with?   Danish oil may , I say "may" cause you some blotching , should you try and stain over it.  It's better to stain the wood directly,  then apply the Danish oil.  That tends to seal the stain, then you can apply a clear coat of polyurethane a few times, with 400 grit light sanding between coats of poly.    And by the way, welcome to the forum, there's excellent information here and a good group of informed woodworkers.

Thank you Richard A for your reply.
The item in question is a Butcher Block Kitchen Island w/ Drop Leaf by Catskill Craftsmen. It is made from hardwood and came oiled natural wood. The instructions said to use Danish Oil to enhance the finish. I did as instructed, on the cabinet only (not the butcher block top). See picture below. 

Should I lightly sand the cabinet and reapply another coat or two of the Danish Oil. I would like to leave the natural wood color, as it would match my cupboards (hickory) and China hutch (pine with Puritan Pine finish). 

22159D47-EE2C-47F7-B63A-5CADAE8B90E7.jpeg

9291546B-3CBA-42A7-AB03-8FFFEDEA7B7A.jpeg

• Like 1

This might better serve you.  Go to almost any hardware store or Lowes or Home depot.  Ask for a package of #0000 steel wool.  It's not expensive, and you'll have more than you'll use on that cabinet.   Take a pad of steel wool and not roughly nor lightly, rub whatever finish is on there. {Danish oil}, after you've done that use a damp rag to remove all the dust.  Let it dry overnight and apply another coat of Danish, with a rag.  Wipe it on and then wipe it off.  Let it sit for a few days then test it for nibs. Little bumps in the finish. If there are many redo the steel wool, if only a few, very lightly rub the steel wool over just the areas where you feel the nibs.   dust it off, then redo the whole cabinet again with a light coat of danish on a clean rag.  After that you should be good to go. If the cabinet is going to get a lot of contact with people, I'd advise a coat of polyurethane.  Minwax makes a decent wipe on poly, that you would apply as you did the last coat of danish.  Be sure to get the right sheen you'd like the cabinet to have.  Gloss, Semi gloss , Satin, or Matt.  Have fun doing it, it's something you'll be living with for awhile and you should get it right the first time.

Welcome Gwenn.

If you are happy with the color the way it is I would just give ti a light sanding with 400 grit just to smooth the surface and get rid of any nibs or things of that nature then apply some wipe on poly, light sanding with 400 between coats.  The wipe on polys are clear and won't add any yellowing to your finish.