making boxes

t-bone

T Bone,

I've never made any boxes per say, but you could consider cabinet carcasses, toy boxes, bench storage seat as forms of boxes. Made lots of them and there's a myriad of ways to make them. I base my construction (joints, frames etc.) on the amount of time I have for the project and how much of a challenge I want. I recently started working on dovetails, so my next cabinet with drawers will have them.

Mark

Small boxes can use all the same sorts of joinery as any other sort of carpentry, and use a lot less wood. Sometimes maneuvering large pieces of wood around can be awkward, so making small boxes is a good way to practice skills without spending much money on wood, or being distracted by awkwardly sized pieces.

If you want to do mortise and tenons, though, you'll probably have to make something bigger than a bread box.

T-bone,

Check out this blog post of mine if your interested in making small boxes.

http://www.dans-hobbies.com/2011/01/16/lift-top-box-construction/

Imo the thing with small boxes, is that you have to be precise. Since they are so small, pore joinery, and finishing mistakes are a lot more noticeable. But as others have said, they are cheap to make, and even the bad ones can be given to friends.

+1 on making boxes to hone skills. You can make dovetails, miters, or just about any kind of corner on the box. You can make raised panel lids. And as was mentioned, mistakes on something smakll seem bigger so you learn to be more precise and if it's a totla mess, you're not throwing away a lot of money.