2 cherries

jimmykx250

Here's a couple of reviews I found:

http://www.sawdustandshavings.com/hand_tools/two_cherries_chisels_review.asp

http://woodcentral.com/bparticles/chisel_review.pdf

Not to be a pain about it and I don't have a set but if you are happy with them, does it matter what other people think? I mean if a few people came back and said they had horrible experiences with them, would that make you less happy with them? Would you throw them away and go buy something else?

I'm just saying I think there's a lot of one-upsmanship around any community. I see it all the time on guitar and motorcycle boards and tools are no different from what I can see. There's always tool envy :P :P :P

Looking at some of the home made tools used to build some really fantastic furniture for hundreds of years, I think we (and I include myself in that) are just way to picky trying to find the perfect tool when it really just takes perfecting the skill to use the tool we have already.

Now if you were using an old set of brittle or soft chisels or that were uncomfortable to use and that you didn't like and were asking for opinions on new tools, that'd make more sense.

I've heard good things about two cherries though, use the heck out of them. :)

JMHO

-Jim

I was given a 5 piece set as a gift. They looked great and were polished nicely (which belied the evil therein). However, when I went to flatten the backs, 3 of the chisels had a significant belly to them. I put them aside and went back to using an older set that I had. Eventually I wasted a Saturday and with the help of a belt sander, 80 grit paper, water and about 4 hours of work I was able to get them sufficiently flat. They were a pain to set up. That being said the steel is good and they held and edge well and I used them off and on for about a year then gave them away to a new woodworker.

I have found the Ashley Iles chisels to be of a much better quality (for a similar price), they aren't as shiny, but they were in much better condition out of the box. It only took about a hour to set up 7 AIs and I only had to use my oil stones. Since that time I have expanded my chisel collection with Lie-Nielsen O1 chisels and some Blue Spruce A2 chisels. Both the LN and BS chisels were ready out of the box. I honed them on my translucent Arkansas stone and a quick swipe on the strop and they were off and running. I still use all of these to do work and have them set up for different tasks with different angles.

If your chisels are already set up and working well then there is no need to go else where.

Here's a couple of reviews I found:

http://www.sawdustan...sels_review.asp

http://woodcentral.c...isel_review.pdf

Not to be a pain about it and I don't have a set but if you are happy with them, does it matter what other people think? I mean if a few people came back and said they had horrible experiences with them, would that make you less happy with them? Would you throw them away and go buy something else?

I'm just saying I think there's a lot of one-upsmanship around any community. I see it all the time on guitar and motorcycle boards and tools are no different from what I can see. There's always tool envy :P :P :P

Looking at some of the home made tools used to build some really fantastic furniture for hundreds of years, I think we (and I include myself in that) are just way to picky trying to find the perfect tool when it really just takes perfecting the skill to use the tool we have already.

Now if you were using an old set of brittle or soft chisels or that were uncomfortable to use and that you didn't like and were asking for opinions on new tools, that'd make more sense.

I've heard good things about two cherries though, use the heck out of them. :)

JMHO

-Jim

Honestly I am kinda suprised how I never see or hear anything about this company. The place I bought my set only had one set left and I bought it. I have been back to see they never re-stocked! They sell some other brand BACHO or something like that which was more pricy. I have been happy with them so much in fact i still havent honed them yet im using them straight from the box and am amazed at how sharp they are. Really I was just wondering how many people had these in this forum as well. Not much into the whole comparison thing just looking for info and opinions.

Honestly I am kinda suprised how I never see or hear anything about this company. The place I bought my set only had one set left and I bought it. I have been back to see they never re-stocked! They sell some other brand BACHO or something like that which was more pricy. I have been happy with them so much in fact i still havent honed them yet im using them straight from the box and am amazed at how sharp they are. Really I was just wondering how many people had these in this forum as well. Not much into the whole comparison thing just looking for info and opinions.

The two Cherries Brand are made in Germany by a company called Kirschen They do the highly polished version but will also supply them unfinished. One of the reasons you had to fettle them yourself is generally they leave that to you as different craftsmen have differing needs and ideas about how they want their tools. Particularly sharpening bevels, double or single bevels etc. They have been making chisels for close to 140 years so I expect they should know how to do it? I have to agree though, I prefer Ashley Isles.

The two Cherries Brand are made in Germany by a company called Kirschen They do the highly polished version but will also supply them unfinished. One of the reasons you had to fettle them yourself is generally they leave that to you as different craftsmen have differing needs and ideas about how they want their tools. Particularly sharpening bevels, double or single bevels etc. They have been making chisels for close to 140 years so I expect they should know how to do it? I have to agree though, I prefer Ashley Isles.

Zwei Kirschen means Two Cherries, or Deux Cerises (?) in French. I've heard good things about the quality of the steel, but that some people get annoyed with the dubbing that the polishing introduces. I think they're also available from some sources unpolished, so you don't have to work so hard to get the back flat. I don't have anything against them, but would have to agree with you that Ashley Iles makes a damn fine chisel. They're slender through the cross section so you can do dovetails, use them to pare, and do a little carving too. For bludgeon pounding mortise stuff, I'd use a different set.

I understand that Stanley Tools bought Goldenburg in France--are those chisels and gouges still available there?

Zwei Kirschen means Two Cherries, or Deux Cerises (?) in French. I've heard good things about the quality of the steel, but that some people get annoyed with the dubbing that the polishing introduces. I think they're also available from some sources unpolished, so you don't have to work so hard to get the back flat. I don't have anything against them, but would have to agree with you that Ashley Iles makes a damn fine chisel. They're slender through the cross section so you can do dovetails, use them to pare, and do a little carving too. For bludgeon pounding mortise stuff, I'd use a different set.

I understand that Stanley Tools bought Goldenburg in France--are those chisels and gouges still available there?

Have not seen any around I'll enquire. I have a lot of French chisels which are very good at keeping an edge but the necks are obviously much softer as they tend to bend very easily. I've not had any snap yet but, I'm sure they will given time. My Ashleys and Marples don't seem to suffer this.