How to apply Arm-R-Seal?

Nick2cd

i read that you can use it like a wiping varnish and apply with a lint free cloth or you can brush it on with a foam brush. does it need to be thinned first? do you apply it heavy, let it soak in, then wipe off excess? sand between coats? can you get a glossy, mirror finish with it?

Hi Nick, I've use the gloss and semi-gloss Arm-R-Seal, brushed it and lint free clothe, let it dry between coats with a light sanding between coats, usually 3 or 4 coats. I will not use a brush again though, it went on to heavy in areas probably my fault, and required extra sanding.

i read that you can use it like a wiping varnish and apply with a lint free cloth or you can brush it on with a foam brush. does it need to be thinned first? do you apply it heavy, let it soak in, then wipe off excess? sand between coats? can you get a glossy, mirror finish with it?

I used to thin it about 10-15%, but now I use it full strength but just thin even coats. I prefer to use HVLP and GF high performance water based, but in the cold winter I use Arm r seal indoors. I use Scotts blue paper shop towels to wipe it on with the grain in smooth even coats. Let it dry overnight and hit it with 320 or 400 on my ROS lightly. Repeat 3-4 times depending on application. I only use Satin, because I do not like a high gloss finish. I am always very pleased with my results with this method and very cheap to apply this way.

However I really prefer water based, because I can put 3-4 coats on in one day. With GF high performance you can sand and re-apply in 2 hours with optimal conditions. If I had more pieces to finish over the colder months I would try spraying outside and bringing it in to cure.

I owe all this to ACE, He has been a tremendous help to me and many others on this forum. Well Marc also, he got me started and created this forum.

I apply Arm-R-Seal with a piece of an old cotton tee shirt folded up and use straight from the can. Arm-R-Seal has high solids. So if you wipe it on, then wipe it off. You are removing all the solids you just laid down. For me, I use Arm-R-Seal as a tough film finish for table tops and pieces that may receive lot of use. I hear guys/gals thin it all the time. Me, I don't thin it, I just switch and use the General Finishes Seal-A-Cell when my project requires a thinner finish, ( that's just me :)).

I apply as quick as I can and do not over work it, keeping a wet edge.

If I need to mid-coat sand, I will block sand with either 400 to 600 paper, just to knock down any nibs or whatever.

Yes you can get a gloss finish.

Hope this helps.

-Ace-

• 9 months later...