Solid Color Finish for Kitchen Cabinets

onehardwood

Far from an expert in finishing, matter of fact I'm not sure I would say that I have had one project that I would call a sucess. Now I'm starting a big project, kitchen cabinets. My wife wants the cabinets black, I mean black, showing little if any grain. I dont want to paint, so I was planning on dying the wood black, then somehow tinting the top coats, but that is as far as I have gotten. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a earlex 5000 HVLP sprayer, but my confidence level is pretty low.

When I was at the Atlanta Woodworking show last weekend I watched a demo of the 1050 Apollo HVLP sprayer. It was impressive with the amount of control the unit gave. I noticed a black painted drawer front also on the display table that was perfectly smooth and glossy. I asked how many coats of clear finish were put over the black paint and the gentleman replied it was 3 coats of acrylic black from home depot sanded between coats with no clear coating. I was amazed to say the least. He said if you can achieve very fine spray and sand between coats anyone can get the same results. I imagine you can do that with your sprayer as well. Pick a species of wood that paints well, maple and poplar are two that jump to mind, and practice finishing it until you get the results your wife is pleased with, then buy that wood and get to work.

Dave