Jointer/Planer Rebuild

tim0625

I have my deceased Father-in-law's jointer/planer. It is a Craftsman 6" and in rebuilding it, I've gotten to removing the knife leveling screws in the cutter head and I've broken one off in the head. :o Two more are frozen. PB Master Blaster applied. To add insult to injury, I drilled the screw head and promptly broke the EZ Out off in the hole. I have a 5/64 carbide bit coming from Fastenal which they say will drill a hole in the EZ Out. Does anyone just HAPPEN to have an extra Craftsman cutter head lying around? Sears doesn't make them anymore and I realize the age, quality of the tool, etc, etc. It has sentimental value so I'd like to keep it if possible...NOT TO MENTION I've already bought the new bearings, knives, and had the motor worked on...should have bought the G0675 like the post below. Oh well...any ideas??

If the cutter head is destroyed you could get a Byrd helical head as an upgrade. If you call Grizzly tools and give them the measurements, of the original head, they may have a replacement head for their machines that fits your machine. Grizzly has great customer service and I am sure they would work with you to do something like that. Another great website is the Old Woodworking Machines site. You can read about all aspects of machine restoration there. If you create an account on the forum you could probably find one or you could find another way to fix it. A machinist might be able to help.

Knowledge Base

Forum

How many knives?

How many screws per knife?

Is it in the middle on on the end?

The head has 3 knives with two leveling screws per knife and each leveling screw is located about 3/4-1" from end of the knife in the cutter head. The cutter head also has one ...bar?...wedge type of piece of metal; the length of the knife and one per knife that is responsible for holding the knife in place against the wall of the cutter head. This wedge is held in place by two cap screws that go through it and screw into the cutter head. All Craftsman jointer planers from that era have the same cutter head. My model number is unreadable but on the Searspartsdirect website, I think it is about a model 113206801 or 113206891. It could be one of the slightly earlier models but they all take the same cutter head. You knows where one is???

I checked out the Byrd cutter heads...lots of dough...like putting a new crate motor in a rusted out car. thanks though

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry thought I had already replied.

Thought I had a cutterhead, but I don't.

Did you get the EZout drilled out?

sort of....I ordered a 5/64 solid carbide bit and drilled about 1/3 of the EZ Out and popped the bit. :o I used what was left of the bit and just kind of gnawed at it until I had most of it drilled out. Still couldn't get the hollow screw out with an EZ out. By now, the hair is standing up on my back. :angry: I drilled the entire thing out and retapped it for a freakin 1/4-28 screw!! It's God awful big...about that time, I found the same jointer planer on ebay torn apart and the individual pieces for sale. I bought a cutter head for $5!!! $12 shipping but it came with knives, a center rod, and 2 bearings. So my freak show is a spare. Thanks anyway. Nowwwww to get the knives level.....