Vintage Tools

Cabltech69

Hi All - I have a toolbox full of vintage tools that have been handed down through the family from my great grandfather. I was hoping you all might help me understand what I actually have and if any of the pieces might have some value. Once I have an understanding of what I have, I'm thinking about breaking up the set and sharing some of the pieces with my sons and nephews. I'd like to keep a piece or two for sentimental value, then sell or donate the rest of the pieces.

I've received mixed messages from aunts and uncles on the provenance. Some say that it was my grandfather's (~1910-1975) and others say that it is from my great grandfather (~1870 - 1940).  I am also told that the chest that the tools are stored in was actually made by one of these two individuals as well. 

I live in the Phoenix AZ area. If anyone knows someone local that might help appraise, that would be appreciated as well. 

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

That collection looks much like the stuff in my own grandfather's tool kit. He worked for many years as a general construction carpenter. Judging from appearances alone (I can't make out any markings to confirm mfg. dates) I would guess many of those items did originate in your great-grandfather's era.

Regarding monetary value, antique hand planes are fetching rediculous prices on eBay these days. Those hand saws are definitely older, and desireable to the right collector, but not as popular on the general market. Personally, I would keep them all in the family, or find someone who will put them to good use, rather than out for display.

• 4 weeks later...