new chucks

jimmykx250

Where do turners buy all the lathe accessories? I have a jet lathe that was given to me and i just picked up a used set of turning tools. I want to try turning bowls or something of that nature. The guy that gave it to me used to turn flutes on it so it has a spur looking thing on it and i know i need a chuck. The lathe is around 3 to 4 feet long- i cant remember the model #. Thanks.

Where do turners buy all the lathe accessories? I have a jet lathe that was given to me and i just picked up a used set of turning tools. I want to try turning bowls or something of that nature. The guy that gave it to me used to turn flutes on it so it has a spur looking thing on it and i know i need a chuck. The lathe is around 3 to 4 feet long- i cant remember the model #. Thanks.

I like a few places. http://www.pennstateind.com/ is a great place to start. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/ also is a great (and higher end) place to look. Bowls might be a bit ambitious for a beginner, but hey if you want to do it, no better thing to do than to jump in and do it.

Geffre

I got mine from Grizzly. Of course I have a Grizzly lathe, but they sell chucks and accessories for other spindles sizes too. The chuck is a copy of a vicmarc chuck and is pretty good in my opinion. They have good prices and their customer service is second to none.

Tim

The two things I turned were bowls, the third was a crochet hook. I don't think they're beyond a beginner, but your mileage may vary.

As far as chucks go, the Nova's tend to be highly rated by turners I've talked to. I've got two Nova 3G chucks, one made by Nova for Delta for their specific spindle thread pattern, and a second one that I purchased with an insert that has the proper thread for my lathe. If I upgrade my lathe at a later date, I'll sell the Delta specific chuck with it, and keep the generic one and get an insert for the new lathe. The reason I got two chucks? Laziness. After a couple of times changing the chuck jaws to turn bowls and goblet sized objects, then back to smaller jaws for needle sized turnings I decided to buy a second chuck so I could just switch them.

Nova has a number of chucks intended for the different size lathes. The Midi is for lathe's less than 12" diameter swing, the 3G is for lathe's up to 14" swing, the SuperNova 2 for swings up to 20" and the Titan for swings over 24".

So far I've purchased all my turning equipment from my local Woodcraft store. I took an intro to turning class there and like to support local stores that offer good service.

I'd also recommend checking out Rockler, for stores. Pretty much any wood worker's store will be able to sell you some item that will fit some aspect of what you want to do, but not every store will be knowledgeable about turning.

One other resource I want to mention is Berea Hardwoods. (bereahardwoods.com) They seem to have more projects to turn, than products to turn with, but you can still give them a look.

One other place I will suggest you check out is Robert Sorby. They aren't cheap, and much of their stuff is not set to the same angles or compatibility that you might find on this side of the pond, but they do have demonstration tours and videos, as well as some nice products. (robert-sorby.co.uk)

I bought mine from the Woodturning Center'sstore. It's a PSI Barracuda II with the Titanium Nitride coating. It was $170.

The store does not carry a pile of tools, but what they do carry is heavily discounted. They do, however, have quite a few books on sale.