Chisel Hammer question

Olly

Hi Guys

firstly im going to apologise as im sure this has been asked a million times but after a quick search i draw a bit of a blank. Basically what im after is the name/type of the small brass headed hammers that Marc uses in the wood whisperer series? Also are they used for additional control or just as a tarty thing? I did think they were the veritas journeyman but they appear to be more of a hammer than a mallet.

Im interested in the type of hammer as im in the UK and dont have ready access to the US shops and brands (that and the fact im not paying the postage lol)

cheers

Olly

To be quite honest, I paid so much for them I am going to use them at EVERY opportunity! lol. Its not really much more scientific than that. :)

The reality is, they are nothing more than a nice compact hammer. If I could do it all over again I would simply buy a nice brass-headed hammer. And if I really wanted the Glenn-Drake model, I would just buy one. If money isn't a concern, collect the whole set! :)

Top effort Renee. How does it handle in use?

@Marc: lol, i would want to use them alot at that price too. I do think i will treat myself to one though. Well i say ''i'll'' treat myself. Im sure i have earnt enough brownie points with the missus to drop a few subtle hints. Seeing as spring has finally arrived in Blighty and the sun is out, who knows i may just get lucky.........

Thanks Olly, It feels very nice in the hand, I shaped the handle to exactly fit and offset the head of the hammer a bit to it aligns with my wrist. The head is long enough so that I can run my pointer finger alongside the head and it is almost like pointing at the chisel.

When I tried out the Glen Drake versions the largest one felt the best to me. They are great for tweaking things, for chopping a mortise with a mortise chisel though, these are not heavy enough IMO.

I think you will be happy.

BTW, another big fan of this style is Bob Lang from Popular Woodworking