How can I mill these

I have these hardwood cutoffs of different sizes but around the 8" by 5" size that I thought might be good to make some kids toys from, only trouble is though that they need milling and they are not long enough for me to run through my thicknesser, is there a way that I can get these milled so I can use them

PXL_20231007_005511113.MP.jpg

On 10/7/2023 at 12:16 PM, gee-dub said:

First choice is to glue runners to them and cut them back off when done.

planesmallstock.JPG.3c5ce4c7dc7a63dbcfa022a0b8e08302.JPG

Second choice would be double stick tape to an MDF base. 

Thanks mate, I think I understand the first option in that the rollers can grab the runners and keep the feed going but the 2nd option of gluing to an mdf base, how do the rollers do their job ?

With the MDF "carrier" option you would have to manually feed the assembly until the feed rollers caught the smaller board.  For the runner option the runners don't have to be as long as shown in the drawing.  Just long enough to be safe on your particular machine.  This would be my preferred way to go about it.  I would rip the runners off at the band saw.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 3:45 PM, gee-dub said:

For the runner option the runners don't have to be as long as shown in the drawing.  Just long enough to be safe on your particular machine.  This would be my preferred way to go about it.  I would rip the runners off at the band saw.

Should I raise the runners so that they sit about half the thickness of the workpieces so i can then flip it and mill the opposite side ? or leave it as pictured

PXL_20231008_033937797.MP.jpg

Whether you want to "float" the material between the runners or reference a common surface will vary with how out of whack the material is.  Looking at the pictures I would say you could use a common surface for reference.  I do make the runners slightly thicker (taller?) than the material to be machined.  That is, the runners could get milled a bit on the first pass before the cutters engage the "keeper" material.  This assures that the material is not being machined without any support.  Another way to say this is that you do not want to be milling the material very much without it being in contact with the machine's table or platen.  Did that make sense?

On 10/8/2023 at 2:50 PM, gee-dub said:

Whether you want to "float" the material between the runners or reference a common surface will vary with how out of whack the material is.  Looking at the pictures I would say you could use a common surface for reference.  I do make the runners slightly thicker (taller?) than the material to be machined.  That is, the runners could get milled a bit on the first pass before the cutters engage the "keeper" material.  This assures that the material is not being machined without any support.  Another way to say this is that you do not want to be milling the material very much without it being in contact with the machine's table or platen.  Did that make sense?

Yes, it made sense to me, thanks very much, I appreciate it.

I have also learnt that grabbing a couple of old hardwood cutoffs is probably not the best way to start a project, probably a good way to start a fire ;)

• Haha 1

Often true but my current project is all made from stuff out of the burn pile with the exception of a couple of shorts of birdseye.  We give our tine and effort to our loved ones anyway.  If we make an object these things just becomes tangible :).  I'm retired and do this for fun.  If it takes me two months to make a side table I'm OK with it.  When I was working and had young kids . . . not so much :D

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 11:39 PM, gee-dub said:

Often true but my current project is all made from stuff out of the burn pile with the exception of a couple of shorts of birdseye.  We give our tine and effort to our loved ones anyway.  If we make an object these things just becomes tangible :).  I'm retired and do this for fun.  If it takes me two months to make a side table I'm OK with it.  When I was working and had young kids . . . not so much :D

Man thats a beautiful project ! I don't feel so silly about trying to use offcuts

On 10/9/2023 at 10:27 PM, gee-dub said:

Excellent.  Glad that worked out.  We are al used to the materials that are locally available to us but I am jealous of the beautiful Australian hardwoods.  Is that iron bark?

Im fairly sure it is, I grabbed it from a local mill. I'm not good at identifying timber