First trip to hardwood dealer

Today I took my first trip to a real hardwood dealer. All of the wood that I have bought in the last year and half since I started woodworking has either been from Rockler, Bell Forest or Craiglist. I recently moved to Oak Harbor, WA from San Diego and just finished setting up my small hand tool shop in a one car garage. I needed some wood for an upcoming project with the Hand Tool School, so I decided to take a trip to Port Townsend. I woke up this morning drove about a half hour to Coupeville then hopped on a ferry to Port Townsend and about an hour later I was at Edensaw Woods. Marc was right it was a lumbering experience in deed. I already knew what a BF was and how lumber is measured and priced but nothing prepared me for the several thousand board feet of wood that was in front of me. I was like a kid running down the stairs Christmas morning. There was so much wood it was very overwhelming. I honestly did not know where to start. I had an idea of what I wanted but really no idea how much I needed. I ran around pricing out cherry, walnut, mahogany, purple heart, etc... but finally settled on 30bf of white oak that was a steal at $2.50BF. I wanted to buy so much more but really did not have an estimate of how much I needed or even what type of wood I wanted. I decided to leave with my white oak destined to return in the near future but far more prepared.

James

James, just browse for the really cool boards. I have a semi-local sawyer (45 minutes away) and I'll go with a list and at least $300. I can usually find the exact boards I was looking for and usually a couple to inspire me at a later date. It's like the candy store. I love going there.