Is Oil Finish Finished?

merkules

A humble hello to all, as all have something to teach me. Let's say I'm new to finishing. I've recently built a large cherry trestle table for a client who wants that hand rubbed oil look in addition to adequate protection from water marks, heat rings, etc. After reading a few threads here and a few articles I opted for a BLO/poly/thinner blend and wet sanded the first few coats. It looks fantastic and feels like butter but... is it done? The more I read the more confused I become. What are the protective qualities of such a finish, and what would make an appropriate top coat, if any? Right now it glows and reflects without being glossy, and that's the way I like it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

If you apply anything else, or even more coats of the same finish, you are just going to build the finish thickness. This will definitely help protect the top more, but of course you are getting further away from the "natural" look. Its all about compromise. Truth is, there is no finish that will give awesome protection while also looking really natural. So just make sure the client is fully aware of this ahead of time. When I have dealt with this in the past, I would make up sample boards showing 2 coats, 4 coats, and 6 coats and then present them to the client. I would arm them with as much info as possible so they would take responsibility for the decision. Might not work for everyone but it worked well for me.

I use absolutely gallons of Danish Oil over time and it is exactly as Marc says.

The only product I've ever used that appears to be indestructible is 'Rustins Plastic Coating' it is actually not quite so awful as it sounds and is probably the best thing available for Bar tops that are regularly covered in Alcohol spills, it can be anything from Matt to the highest possible gloss. But, I would never use it for any 'fine' furniture it gives a too thick looking coat.

It's always best to try as many samples as you can using different finishes applied in different ways and from one coat up to as many as you feel fit. It's one of those things that years of experience can help with, but, as new finishes and techniques are always appearing, I find it best to take a few scraps from my firewood box now and again and play around with what ever I have around. You'd be amazed how much fun you can have, and sometimes, you hit on a winner. For a while at least, until something else appears that seems to be the panacea, but nothing as yet has been invented that answers all situations, timbers, and, above all CLIENTS.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Pete