Looking for advice: slabs for a Rubio style bench

Von

I have dreams of building a Rubio-style bench this year or next. I'm exploring the option of making the top out of a couple of slabs. I reached out to a local sawmill. They offered can cut me a couple 4 1/2" x 12" x 8' slabs out of green oak for a couple hundred bucks (total I think, might be each). I asked over the phone about other woods and they said they might have some hickory. The person on the phone wasn't very confident, so I plan to go visit.

I'm seeking thoughts on any of the following:

* I've worked with oak plenty and I worry it's too porous for a workbench top?

* I don't have experience with hickory but understand its very hard?

* I'm shooting for a 7' top and assuming I'll lose some of the slab ends to checking - is 8' long enough?

* What sort of overage should I be thinking on the width and thickness? Is 1" enough?

* I'm guessing there are particular ways to mill the slabs out of the tree that are preferable and not so preferable?

* Any thoughts on how long I'm going to need to air dry a "green" slab? If I go the slab route, I doubt I'll find anyone with the right slab already dried. Maybe I try to arrange a kiln dry?

* Am I just nuts going the slab route?

* What am I not thinking of?

Thanks in advance.

On 3/28/2024 at 5:49 PM, legenddc said:

Matt Cremona sells workbench kits out of slabs so you're not the first person to have this idea. They're a lot more expensive but they are dry. 

Yes indeed, Matt inspired me in this direction and ordering from him is an option I'm keeping in mind since it is seeming likely I'm not going to find anything the right size and dried locally. I admit the logistics of receiving a freight shipment seem a little daunting but there is a first time for everything.