QSWO Pricing...

So I went in search of some Quarter Sawn White Oak today for a small mission/A&C clock I'm going to build... I found someone in town that has 4/4 rough qswo for $2.50 a board foot... Is that a good price? I know Bell Forest has it for 6 something/bf but they're the only other source I know of...

It's all under 6" wide which is fine by me since my jointer is only a 6" and I'd have to saw anything else down to the appropriate width anyways... Should I buy up a good supply of it at that price? It's been in town for a few years just hanging around inside a warehouse so it's drier than the US Government's Piggy Bank and certainly ready to be put to good use... And at that price it's cheaper than the premium kiln dried doug fir 2x4s at BORG...

If I did my math right they have nearly 1,500bf of the stuff...

• 2 weeks later...

6" widths are about average for the species and the cut, QS does come wider but not so often. If the flake isn't outstanding, check to make sure the growth rings are perpendicular to the face, angled planing may be required to reveal the true ray pattern. White Oak is prone to checking and honeycombing with improper drying, have a good look at the faces and end grain. However, the piece you show looks good, I'd stock up at that price, which is half of wholesale where I am.