Best cloth for finishing?

agab6601

I want to pick some of the people's brains out there on what to use when finishing a piece. I have in the past used cotton rags (old clothes) I cut them in small pieces but end up with fuzzies, so what is the best cloth to use for applying stain, and wipe on finishes? I was told tack or cheese cloth is good, but when I went to the hardware store it seemed a little pricey for what little bit you got in the package. Anyway any thoughts on this are great, since I know finishing a project is very important in the overall process.

-Andy

I've purchased tack cloth at Menards for cheap. I keep them in zip-lock bags because as the name implies everything sticks to them. I don't use it for applying finish however. When I apply dyes, or wipe-on poly I will usually use cheese-cloth. Which you can purchase by the ton at a fabric or craft store for almost nothing, especially around halloween when it is used for all kinds of crafty projects. Some dyes and gel-stains I apply with a sponge, but you need to work slowly and take care not to get bubbles. Most other stains and other finishes just go on with a high quality brush.

I clean my brushes very carefully when I'm finished and I mark each one as to what I use it for. I'm not sure if it really helps, but in my simple brain using the same brush everytime for the same type of product seems to give me more consistant results. Maybe I'm just over-thinking. All of this, of course, assumes you are not spraying any of it. Because that would open up an entire new thread of how to spray finishes and with what type of gun.

Andy,

I use old white t-shirts cut up into approximately 6" x 6" squares. I avoid tearing them into size. I use scissors, otherwise yes, I get the fuzzies. The other thing I do with the squares is to fold them into a pad so that all the edges are folded inside and I apply and wipe with the center area of the square only.

Tim

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...