Portable Dust Collector

KRAM121881

With the setup of my new 5hp Saw Stop & a lucky purchase of a delta 18-36 drum sander from an auction I am in need of a better dust collection system then my craftsman shop vac. I fully intend to purchase and install a cyclone system some day but with the expense of the above two items I am looking for an interim solution such as a portable canister dust collector. I looked around the forums and have seen several postings about all the modifications that people have made to their portable DC they have purchased but not a lot on any specific unit that out of the box exceeds expectations. I had hoped to keep this purchase under $400.00 but will go a little over for the right unit. I am currently looking at the grizzly G0548Z 2HP Canister Dust Collector as seen hear: http://www.grizzly.com/products/2HP-Canister-Dust-Collector/G0548Z which slightly exceeds my budget but I have been reading good things.

Any comments on this unit or suggestions of a good out of the box unit in this price range would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Maslonkowski

Lots of people like the Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector. It's vaguely similar to the Grizzly you're looking at, but sells for less than $200. If you then add a Thein separator to it, you may not even want the cyclone system. Check this thread for more info and links to various examples of the Thein separator.

-- Russ

Harbor Freight has been running really aggressive ads lately, too. Their famous 20% off coupon has been in every mailer I've gotten for the past couple months (after not seeing one for a year). I have the HF 2.0 DC (product code ends in 69... there are two models and you want the 69 model). Works fantastic and has for many years. Comes with a 5μ filter bag, which could get you by before a canister from Wynn Industries. That said, though, I recall someone posting a unit I thought was from Grizzly that was effectively that combo.

Okay, so I went and looked. This is the Grizzly that is basically the equivalent to the popular HF 2.0 DC+Wynn Filter: http://www.grizzly.com/products/2HP-Canister-Dust-Collector/G0548Z

Hello Mark,

I'm sure all the collectors mentioned will do a good job for you. I can only speak about what I know and that's about the 2hp Grizzly units I have. I've used them for several hours a day and almost seven days a week for the past few years. They have performed very well. I also have a 1 1/2hp unit that I use on my bandsaw. It's doing a fine job as well. I've recently replaced my two 2hp collectors with a Grizzly 3hp cyclone. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the suggestions - it just boils down to what feels right to you.

I notice that the Grizzly and Delta units say they have "1 micron" filters, but don't say what the efficiency is. If I understand correctly, they are essentially saying that some 1 micron particles are blocked, but they don't say what percentage are blocked, and what percentage get through. The Wynn filters say they have a 99.99% efficiency, which is a lot better than "some".

Does anyone know of a DC that comes with a Wynn filter or equivalent, or that comes "Wynn filter ready"?

Clear Vue Cyclones has reopened. Their products are designed with the Wynn filters in mind. Anyone thinking of using something that does not capture nearly all 1 micron and larger dust should peruse Bill Pentz's site. Do yourself a favor and don't screw up your lungs.

Clear Vue Cyclones has reopened. Their products are designed with the Wynn filters in mind. Anyone thinking of using something that does not capture nearly all 1 micron and larger dust should peruse Bill Pentz's site. Do yourself a favor and don't screw up your lungs.

Yeah, that last sentence is kind of misleading, and kind of reminds me of a SawStop scare tactic sales pitch. My thoughts on dust collectors are that they are good for keeping a shop fairly clean, as in less dust settleing on everything in the shop, but are no substitute for a respirator. Many machines are very tough to get all the dust from, no matter what brand and model number of DC that you have. An air filtration unit also helps to keep the shop clean and clears the air so when your done useing a machine, you can remove the respirator sooner. Don't get me wrong, keeping the dust to a minimum is important, dust is obviously a health hazard, and is also a fire hazard, but lets not get carried away with false claims on what a DC can do. At the end of a long or even a short day in the shop, I still grab the shop-vac and clean around the shop. And speaking of fire hazards, I can't tell you how many times that I see people that don't empty their DC's at the end of the day, not good. I will also add that I believe in Seperators or Cyclones, they greatly reduce the chance of anything that could otherwise impact the impeller and cause a spark.

Yeah, that last sentence is kind of misleading. I don't care what kind or brand of dust collector that you have, it's not going to get everything, and if you don't want to screw up your lungs, wear a respirator.

I interpreted Russ as saying, "Don't endanger your lungs to save a few bucks or for to avoid a little inconvenience." not that a ClearVue cyclone was going to magically protect my lungs from everything.

The Clear Vue's are about twice what I'm willing to spend, so I guess I'm back to adding a DIY Thien separator and a Wynn filter to my old Delta DC.

I really wanted to blow the dust outside (after the Thien) instead of using a filter, but I've got my boiler and hot water heater in my shop (both gas), so I'd have to provide replacement air, and in the winter I don't think that would be comfortable. I toyed with the idea of building some sort of heat transfer, but that's the sort of project I would design forever and never actually build. Plus, with the filter I can position the DC anywhere.

Yeah, I agree that venting outside has it's obstacles, plus my neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate me making my problem theirs, so I'm not a big fan of venting outside.

I figured that that it's like spraying oil based finishes. If I was doing it in an enclosed shop, I'd wear a respirator and set up ventilation. But if I was doing it outside, I wouldn't worry about venting it, because it wouldn't be able to concentrate. I figure that what gets past the cyclone or Thien would be the equivalent of the oil fumes: invisible, and only a problem in enclosed spaces.

If I was wood working 8 hours a day, several days a week, maybe I'd feel differently. And if I didn't live on a busy city street, maybe I'd feel differently. With all the rubber dust from the tires, the exhaust fumes, and just general dust kicked up by the traffic, I figure a little sawdust is nothing.

Anyway, it's moot for me because of the heating issue. And a Wynn filter at 99.99% of 0.5 micron particles may actually provide cleaner air than what I could suck in from outside.

By the way, I looked it up and "HEPA" by US DOE standards is 99.97% efficient at 0.3 microns.The Wynn paper blend filters are 99.99 % efficient at 0.5 microns (they claim). Grizzly G0440 says, "Filter: 99.9% efficiency captures 0.2-2 micron dust particles". The less expensive DCs say "high efficiency" and "1 micron" but don't give a %age.

I try not to get too technical about it Beech, the dust collector that I'm useing now has a 1 micron bag, thats alot better then one of my old DC's that had a 30 micron bag, plus as I mentioned before, your not going to get all of the dust, some machines are tough to collect dust from. For instance, Contractor's table saws, I put alot of hours into the saw that I have improveing the dust collection on it so it collects the dust as well as a cabinet saw, and nothing gets in the way when tilting the blade, but then theres dust that comes off the top of the blade. I could put a dust hood / blade guard over that, but I don't want to because I think it would just get in the way too much. Then theres the miter saw, 12" disc sander, orbital sander, circular saw, etc. The bottom line is, if you want to control how much dust sets on everything in the shop, have a DC with good filtration, if you want to protect your health, have a good respirator.

I wanted to thank you all for your posts after much reading on this site and others and hours of internal debate I have placed an order for the H.F. 2hp DC which I couldn't pass up at the price along with the 20% off. When I get it I will start by adding a Thein separator. Anyone use a Rubbermaid brut trashcan for this? Then as time goes on i will most likely add a wynn filter.

Also has anyone hooked there H.F. DC up to a duct system or just at each tool?

Thanks Again

Mark Maslonkowski

In my opinion hooking the HF 2hp DC up to a ducted system is pushing the limits of it, I'm thinking that they are being generous in rateing it at 2hp. The impeller is smaller then most 2hp DC's, and the inlet I believe is only 5" instead of 6". If I was to do it, I would use 5" for the main run, or whatever the inlet size is on the DC. If the DC has a 5" inlet and you adapt to a 6" main trunk, I think that you'll lose velocity. I would also keep the main trunk to a minimum in length, and no sharp turn elbows. As far as useing a plastic Brute garbage can, I've seen people do it, and ended up installing some kind of relief valve on it so it doesn't colapse. I think that a steel drum is better suited for the job. Just my opinion, I'm sure that some will want to debate the subject.