Cedar

lighthearted

Lighthearted,

Sorry, but I love the smell! I would never try to counter it. I will admit that it can get a little overpowering when doing a lot of sanding and the like but some good ventilation reduces it to a comfortable level. If I am doing a lot of sanding I will use a powered filter / respirator such as Trend Airshield Pro which blows a stream of filtered air across the face. Hope this helps.

Whitebeam.

Cedar is toxic. It will make some sick some not so sick. I have great difficulty with it if I get a sliver or get too much dust. When I work with cedar I use full respirator if I can. I also leave doors open in the shop to assist in venting the dust out. A cedar splinter will fester and leave a fairly large angry red and painful spot and the splinter will be ejected from me in less than 24 hrs. I use gloves when handling it most times for this reason. I know some people do not have this problem but many do and I am one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

How to tell if some old planks I found are cedar or something else? They are quite aromatic, though not so much as other cedar I have come across. I have smelled a cedar-like smell on fresh cut pine and fir from time to time, but not as strongly as on these.

Any cedar experts out there?