Router plate insert

dodgeram99

I am building my first router table and need some help in selecting the right router plate insert. What dose every one recommend? It's a cabinet stile that is 36" tall and the table will be 24" by 30". I see some with a micro adjust built in them. Is this worth spending the extra money?

I am building my first router table and need some help in selecting the right router plate insert. What dose every one recommend? It's a cabinet stile that is 36" tall and the table will be 24" by 30". I see some with a micro adjust built in them. Is this worth spending the extra money?

I purchased the Incra for that very reason. It is early days but the quality aluminium plate, sound construction, insert plates and adjustment screws sold me on this model albeit this model is a lot more money than other products that do not have these features.

I assume you are talking about a router lift and not just a plate since you are asking about micro adjusting, am I right? If so I have the Jet Xacta lift and I really like it, got it for a steal on clearance. I have played around with the Jessem and the Woodpeckersand they are very similar (it was a while between seeing the two in person) and I know several people on here have the Jessem and love it. If you are a Guild member Marc has a great router lift review video that goes though many aspects of the different lifts, if your not a member it is worth every penny. No matter what I am sure you are going to love having a router table. I am on my 3rd version and couldn't be happier, it is one of the most used tools in my shop. Good luck and keep us posted.

Nate

If you're refering to lifts, I agree with Nate. If you're only talking about insert plates....I have a Rousseau (I think that is how you spell it?). It is a phenolic plate with two circlular inserts that snap in and out. I think I paid less than $30 and it has been a very durable insert.

Tim

If you're refering to lifts, I agree with Nate. If you're only talking about insert plates....I have a Rousseau (I think that is how you spell it?). It is a phenolic plate with two circlular inserts that snap in and out. I think I paid less than $30 and it has been a very durable insert.

Tim

You have to be careful with plates like these, if your router it too heavy it can and will, put a big sag in the plate. I had to upgrade to an aluminum plate because of this. But I also had a huge Freud FT3000VCE 3.25HP plunge router hanging under it. And for my 2 cents, I would get a lift. My router in the table uses an above the table adjustment, to raise and lower the router. It just takes too long, and take a fair amount of effort to raise the router up. I am partial to the Woodpeckers lifts. I have seen them many times at shows and have played with them a fair bit. I really like the build and quality of the lift. But that is just my 2 cents...