Designing around sloping floors...

javajake

I am designing a large inset hutch to go in a bathroom (in place of a closet). The problem I have is that over the 5' 3" width of the space it is to occupy, the floor slopes by about an inch. Any ideas of how to make this as unnoticeable as possible (in the design of the hutch, not fixing the real problem)?

You can make scribing and leveling the toe kick portion easier if you make it separate and make your cabinet to have a simple flat bottom.

Put the toe-kick box down, shim it, scribe it, whatever it takes to make it level. Then apply the front of the toe kick and cut as necessary. Afterward just put the cabinet on top of the now level base and attach. A lot of kitchen cabinets are done this way; heck of a lot easier to scribe and shim a small toe-kick box than an entire cabinet.

Jake, if you need more info on how to best plot out the toe kick idea, check out either the latest or maybe previous issue of Wood magazine. There's an article about building a built-in bookcase spanning an entire wall and around the window, and a couple pages are dedicated to the tow kick design. Sorry I'm at work and the article is at home, otherwise I would scan it for you now. But I could do that over the weekend if need be.

OK, Jake. If you want to do that style of base. Your best approach is to work off the wall. You can either build in a French cleat or go the "USA" route of just screwing the unit to the wall. I prefer the cleat. Either way you will now be shimming the wall plumb. You'll also need to build some backing for the base to attach after the unit is hung and custom fit the base. You could again go the toe kick route and set it far enough back that you'd be hard press to see it with the cut base hiding it.