Quick finishing options?

Jesse

What would you guys say are the quickest and easiest finishing options? I've been pretty happy with mineral oil, but I'm becoming more interested in stains as well, say, to make poplar, maple or birch look like dark mahogany or walnut?

What are the laziest most efficient methods you know of?

More to the point, I would like to stain these cabinets tomorrow and be done with them:

post-4932-0-64117600-1313467117_thumb.jppost-4932-0-29229200-1313467128_thumb.jp

Thanks!

I just had a very good first experience spraying General Finishes PolyAcrylic with the Earlex HVLP. I was able to get 4 coats of finish done in an afternoon/evening. I have no experience staining so I can't comment there other than make sure you do a test board.

What would you guys say are the quickest and easiest finishing options?

Probably latex wall paint applied with a disposable roller. You can make your poplar as dark as you want that way. :)

Seriously, I've slowly (very slowly) come to accept the idea that finishing isn't something you should rush through or dismiss as a nuisance to be dealt with after the project is "done". Like everything else, it takes practice to learn how to do it, and time to do it well. And like it or not, an awful lot of what other people think of a project will depend on the finish.

I can't add to Konkers's advice on staining. Just get a can of something, read the instructions on the can, and practice on scraps until you get what you want and develop some confidence in your technique.

As for a topcoat, Marc's wipe-on polyurethane recipe is hard to beat for durable and foolproof. It's not quick, though; I think it involves five or six coats with a bit of sanding after each one is (fully) dry. Not something you can do "tomorrow".

Lecture mode off. :)

-- Russ

Those look like nice cabinets. I'd hate to ruin them by rushing through a finish. A bad finish is the first thing a person will see and the last thing they will remember about the piece. But if you want something simple, grab a can of Minwax (*gasp*) from one of the big box stores. Those are stain and polyureathane in one. There are lots of color choices and you can just wipe it on as many times to get the color depth you want and it will be "good enough".

Oh yeah, do a test peice first to be sure its what you want....

I am not a expert nor is this the quickest method but a few coats of a wax free shellac, gel stain, topped with a gel poly or any other type of poly. That should make that poplar look like what ever you want it to.

Good luck with the finish, hope you find what works best for you. The cabinets look great!

Here was a project I did in poplar and stained. Used a 1lb cut of dewaxed shellac to try and cut down on blotching. In retrospect, probably should have done two coats. Then I used a General Finishes Antique Cherry water based stain, I think it was 3 coats of the stain. I think it was about six hours between coats with a light sanding at 220 between coats.

Before:

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

After:

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

The glue smears showed up more than I thought they would, lesson learned there.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Thanks also for the compliments on the cabinet. I'd love to have a dedicated spray station, but that one will have to wait for my next big break, I suppose.

I went with Zar ultra oil base poly afterall, in a fruitwood tinted satin sheen. Just finished the first coat. Here be pics:

post-4932-0-53619900-1313557264_thumb.jppost-4932-0-85739600-1313557276_thumb.jppost-4932-0-68719600-1313557288_thumb.jppost-4932-0-37084700-1313557296_thumb.jp

I'll post again after the second and third coats are on. And I'll probably post again with pics of it installed... :D