Dust separator, Triton dust bucket conversion

davestanton

Dave, could you use something else instead of the Triton bucket? It seems like it is hard to find in the states and I really want to try your method out. I was maybe going to use the dust right vortex from Rockler as my cyclone seperator, then maybe something similar to the triton, but am not sure what to use. I noticed in one of the previous videos you placed a 1" conduit inside of the Triton and wasn't sure how critical it is to have that.

I replaced the lid of the triton dustbucket with a paint tin lid to accommodate the two inch pipes instead of the one inch pipes in the previous version. In this instance the triton bucket was used because it is transparent allowing me to view how the water was behaving so I could adjust the depth I had the inlet and suction pipes set at. The other advantage is that it has thick walls which resist crushing.

The one inch pipe in the previous version was acting as a pressure reduction valve which reduced suction at the tool end of the system.

Ahhh Dave....inlet below the water level....We've discussed that before! When the DD removes most of the chips, your clean up of water container will be more infrequent as it will mostly trap [only] dust but I still say if you can make the air pass through the water, that's the way to remove all of the minute particles and the noise wouldn't be any louder than the shop vac. (?)

Another possibility....Check out this

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P4ORN_iUTs...what if you were to build one of these on a small scale to fit over your water container?

I've just watched your last video. It seems that the increased air flow is causing the Red Sea to part forcing the small particles to engage as you said "a wall of water". That's probably as good as the "inlet tube below the water" approach. You may still need a little tweaking because the tradeoff for no filters and increased volume in the shop vac is no protection of the shop vac motor from moisture. Could you maybe add a slight angle to the inlet tube of the water container? Instead of the air contacting the water at a 90 degree angle, locate your inlet toward the side of the lid and give it an angle so when the air contacts the water, it creates a swirl...a vortex of its own like the DD. Particles would still have to contact the water but you get swirl instead of splash which could totally eliminate water in the shop vac?

• 2 weeks later...

At 27 seconds into the video 4 green squares appear along with a GRAY one. Then they mysteriously disappear. That makes me think you might be using alien (UFO) technology to create such a nice dust collection system. Either that or you have ghosts that have gotten into your masking tape? "The answer is out there" they say, but what is it? And it that a UFO light stuck to your cabinet? Hmmm.

Seems like some nice improvements going to bigger tubes. Your shop is looking better all the time.

Aliens? Haha, just slack software. The shop will eventually be my garage and assembly area again. I have started to get things moving on the extension out the back, and area that is approx. 600 sq feet. Garage is 400 sq feet, so an even 1000 sq feet to enjoy. I am even planing an area for my old 50 inch plasma to live in the shop if and when I buy a new LCD 3d screen for the house. The things are so cheap at present I can hardly say no.

I have a little more to do with my shop vac and then will throw "one more video" onto youtube.