jointer problem

wjffineww

I don't know if my picture will illustrate what I want but basically this is what I see when I place a straightedge on the edge of my boards after passing over the jointer( there are two separate areas where I can see light in the middle of the board) . It is sort of like a W shape. It is giving me problem when I go to glue pieces together I have these gaps. It is an old Rockwell 6''. Is there some way to remedy this problem?

I apologize for that. I'm not too computer savvy. It was just a simple paint illustration. Here's the gist, there are points of contact on either end and the middle, between the points are shallow hollows that I can see light through. To your point Dave....or Cheech....I know what your saying but I don't think that's the problem because this is a 2'' thick board on edge. I like to think I have that kind of strength but I don't think I do.

I would be inclined to think technique also. Keep downward pressure on the infeed table until you have enough material on the outfeed to move one hand to that side. Don't actually push down right over the top of the blade. Then keep feeding, moving your hands back and forth over the outfeed and infeed keeping downward pressure on each. Then when you have not enough material on the infeed side to comfortably hold, switch both hands to the outfeed side of the workpiece keeping downward pressure on both. And finsh the cut.

I tend to agree its the technique. I cant really even explain how I do it, I just do. The biggest mistake I see people making is hanging onto the wood like its going kick back or something. Second is people using dull knives and putting to much pressure because of all the chatter caused by dull knives. A light touch just enough to hold the piece down to a well waxed table top usually yield pretty good results.

Don