Selecting wood for specific finishes?

klousiajp@gmail.com

I'm a bit afraid that I might be banned outright for considering this, but I'll do it anyway.

I've been tasked with building a wall cabinet (a couple of drawers, a shelf, cubbies) that my wife wants painted white. I'm working on changing her mind but need some advice on a wood that would finish nicely but won't cost $28 a board foot in case I decide to pick a different battle and just paint the thing.

My initial thought was to just go with poplar and maybe do the draw fronts with some exotic like purpleheart. I'm worried that a finish on the poplar wouldn't look good enough to actually sway her and might do damage in the long run. At the same time I'm not real excited to buy a bunch of quarter-sawn white oak or some spalted maple only to slap a couple of coats of latex on there and call it a day.

Any suggestions? How have you guys talked clients down from the paint ledge?

I'm a bit afraid that I might be banned outright for considering this, but I'll do it anyway.

I've been tasked with building a wall cabinet (a couple of drawers, a shelf, cubbies) that my wife wants painted white. I'm working on changing her mind but need some advice on a wood that would finish nicely but won't cost $28 a board foot in case I decide to pick a different battle and just paint the thing.

My initial thought was to just go with poplar and maybe do the draw fronts with some exotic like purpleheart. I'm worried that a finish on the poplar wouldn't look good enough to actually sway her and might do damage in the long run. At the same time I'm not real excited to buy a bunch of quarter-sawn white oak or some spalted maple only to slap a couple of coats of latex on there and call it a day.

Any suggestions? How have you guys talked clients down from the paint ledge?

What color of paint is she wanting????

You could use a dye to color the wood or the finish and have the grain show through. Even if she wants white, you could do a whitewash look also and still show off the wood.

Just some thoughts.

Here is a table I made years ago from poplar (note the green heart and white sap wood) stained with a plain oil stain. I had since chemical striped, then used an NGR dye and oil stain to replicate a "cherry" type color.

If you go with quality finishing products, they will do a good job for you. But I must caution you, these results were achieved using spray equipment.

-Ace-

post-571-015474400 1282411021_thumb.jpg

post-571-083999900 1282411036_thumb.jpg