Need new Miter Saw

jtooley75

Hey guys, I'm in the matket for a new miter saw. I am working my way to being a serious hobbyist and have up to $600-$700 to spend on one. I was just wanting some opinions on saws out there for I am upgrading from a cheap black and decker. I would like to get a sliding model that has a good laser. Any review info would be appreciated.

I have the new Makita 12 SCMS DXT model it has a very good laser, it's hyper accurate and can cross cut to 15 1/2" along with cutting 8" crown nested. It also weights a lot less than other saws. It is the best saw in that price range. Also IMO the Bosch SCMS i have dealt with have been not the best for lack or a better term. With that being said I don't have any experience with the new GSM12SD though. Before i bought my Makita I did a lot of research into all the different Miter saws and after trying them all out the Makita stood out for quality and accuracy along with cut capacity.

With all that being said you have to look at what you are going to use it for and how much space you have for the saw. The budget you have will definitely get you a good saw. Good luck with your purchase.

I'm curious what you use your miter saw for. If you're making furniture, boxes, etc. a crosscut sled or miter gauge on your table saw is a lot cheaper. If you're doing long molding, framing, or on-site work, that's different. I have a miter saw. It's in a flip-top table so I don't see it until I go to use it. Last time I checked, it was a blue miter saw. I use it that often, but I crosscut all the time on my table saw. My goofy point is that maybe the saw you have will work okay for whatever molding you're putting up so put a small part of that money to a crosscut sled or miter gauge for your table saw.

dont forget about gregs list/paper i see tools in there all the time just bought a 20 inch delta scrowl saw for 75

just did a quick search on cregs list 14 inch makita miter for 125

dewalt 12 miter saw and stand 600

rigid 12 miter saw for 200

there out there just got to be patient and keep looking for right deal for you

Paul, you might be on to something. I am definitely leaning towards furniture and small projects in the shop. I do like working on crown but more for my own house. Like you said, maybe I should invest in a good miter gauge for the table saw, or at least a better miter saw than what I have, but doesn't have to be top of the line. The miter saw was the first tool I owned (was a gift), and it's hard thinking that I might not need one since I'm so use to having it.

For a contrasting view, I'm actually leaning the other way. After years of assuming that I needed a tablesaw, I wonder if a combination of other tools might replace it. I have the router to do dadoes and grooves, I have a bandsaw for ripping stock, a miter saw for crosscutting, and a track saw for cutting down sheetgoods. I was all set to get a SawStop and now I'm going to wait and see how much I really use my tablesaw first.