Standard DC Testing Would Be Suite

VitalBodies

It would be nice to come up with a standard test we could all use on our systems to see how our dust collection systems are doing. Everyone might think their system is fine, but they might not be. This is an effort to have some kind of standard that everyone could use to see how they are doing and have a goal to work towards.

Pondering simple universal tests...

Hmmm.

Think think think think think - DING!

How about, how far from the bench top does the nozzle need to be to start picking up Miter Saw dust.

How far from the bench top does the nozzle need to be to start picking up PLANER shavings.

How far from the bench top does the nozzle need to be to start picking up fine dust.

The nozzle is for testing would be just the straight 4" (or 2.5") hose or with a simple quick disconnect on the end.

Ultimately it would be fun to come up with a suite of tests that anyone can use so we can compare notes.

Idea and suggests more than welcome...

If I recall correctly, Bill Pentz says that the dust that got in his lungs was microscopic. The big stuff gets caught in your throat and coughed up, but the really tiny stuff lodges permanently in the lungs. So, like with carbon monoxide, you really need a detector other than your eyes to see if your dist collection is working or not. Bill talks about an industrial detector, but it isn't cheap.

That's the reason he talks about CFM instead of static pressure. A vacuum needs static pressure to pull big, heavy stuff into the nozzle (and here, something big enough to see is "big"). But to capture the fine stuff that floats in the air like a gas, you need to move all the air through the system. You aren't lifting weight, you are capturing volume. Of course, it's also nice if the DC picks up the big stuff, so you don't have to sweep as much.

At least, that's my memory of what I read at his site.

Actually the only way to keep from getting the dust is to not make the dust. There is no possible way to work in a woodshop and not get dust in your lungs.

i know he can be in the room and have the machine but he cant cut any wood. sorry vita but our dust system isent realy all that great its miss matched pipes and hoses that we have collected from several sources but all are only 2 inches and they tend to get blocked.

My personal DC vents outside because the fine dust is what causes so much lung problems.

I noticed on on of the Grizzly spay booths they had a manometer, I wonder what we could put on a DC to gain some accurate measurements DC and ducting performance?

So would one need a digital air flow meters or a manometer or something else?