Streams of Life - A Sofa Table

mlehikoinen

So, I've built a few pieces, but none of them have been my own design from a sketchpad. This table was my first of my own devising from sketchpad to sketchup to build. While the legs are a modernistic Louis XV style (without any embellishment), it wasn't until after I designed it that I realized it.

Materials - Curly maple (Top) and straight maple (legs/aprons)

Finish - Top - BLO (3 flood coats), Shellac & Water based poly

- Legs - BLO (2 wiping coats for colour matching) and shellac sealer

The inspiration behind the name "Streams of Life", comes partly from a philosophical thought and partly because the curly maple that I used couldn't be matched to appear seamless. I was hoping to use Birds Eye Maple for the top, but the lack of A grade BE maple in my area was disconcerting. So I was pondering the ill matched grain when I realized that the figure looked like ripples in a stream. The philosophical part being that no 2 paths or 'streams' of life are the same!

The legs and aprons were rough cut on the band saw and then shaped by hand. I couldn't afford that monster spiral bit that Mark used in the chest of drawers video and a straight bit would have caused too much tearout or it would have required too much setup with a pattern & trim bit plus moving a template from one side to the other ... I'm sure I would have screwed something up in that process. So spokeshave & rasps it was (and sanding).

the side aprons are joined to the legs via mortise & tenon, the front aprons are half lapped into the legs with about 3/8" material removed from the leg and from the apron for a nice tight fit.

Top is fastened to the side aprons in the center by screw and around the rest of the table using figure 8 fasteners.

'twas a fun build and I'm hoping that it will sell in the near future. I won't ask you to be gentle as I'm keenly interested in anything I might have done better.

post-110-0-78711100-1318614787_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-29466500-1318614842_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-58755400-1318614870_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-85944500-1318614910_thumb.jpg

No, it doesn't look like it's the picture: it does look a little long. But this is a sofa table, so it's okay to be long. It just seems a shame to stuff this in the corner or behind a sofa where nobody will see it....

Maybe if you cut the legs down by 10 inches, and make it a coffee table.....? ;)

Very nice!

I like this as a long table, but don't believe a variation of those legs work in a short coffee table type piece without totally rethinking it.

The top seems a bit thin for the solidness conveyed by the aprons and legs. Maybe a bit of refining of those elements. Or maybe it is good as it is.

When you have boards that are difficult to match you can also do wavy long cuts on them rather than straight rips. Lots more work, but can yield good benefit. FWW has had articles on this approach, but I don't have the issue numbers handy at this time. At least worth keeping that in mind.

Looks like the legs taper in width going down. Perhaps consider what a taper in the depth would give you some refinement.

Great project. Should be well received.