bench grinder

jimmykx250

The grinder isn't really that important, even the expensive ones, don't come with what you need to do a good job in my opinion.

I'd recommend buying the cheapest grinder you can get your hands on, that doesn't vibrate when the wheels are removed. Once you get it home, throw out the stock rest and wheels. buy or make a good rest, and then buy wheels appropriate for the type of steel your tools are made out of. For the wheels I'd recommend your read up on picking a wheel, and then purchase a wheel from an online metalworking supply store. I can post some info on wheels of you like.

I use a $20 box store special, a homemade rest, and then I use a special 46 grit wheel designed for tool steels. Grinding is a breeze, even if I have to remove a lot of stock.

I really don't think slow speed is really all that important but there are many that think that it is a necessity. Years ago when my old high speed grinder died I replaced it with a slow speed, I am not convinced one bit that I am any better off now but that is just my opinion. As long as you wet your steel and pay attention you won't burn it. If you can get your hands on an old one that just needs a facelift I think you would be set, I have seen many go for around $30. The wheels are a big deal, I personally like the Norton 3x wheels but I am sure there are many other great brands out there as well. A wheel dresser is also a must, keeping the wheels true and straight is job #1. Good luck and keep us posted on what you figure out.

Nate

I think any motor would do, not just a grinder or grinder specific motor. You can always get the correct speed settings by using a belt and different pulley sizes, and Lee Valley was just advertising their dual mount arbor for this kind of application.

Put a larger pulley on the motor, run it to a smaller pulley on the grinding arbor, and you've increased your RPMs. Go from a smaller wheel on the motor to a larger one on the arbor, and you've slowed it down. This works with theoretically any motor, but I wouldn't rip the motor out of your kids' animatronic dog to use.