Corbels

AlanWilley

Last week I was asked to make some corbels for a listed building well two actually. I was given one of the old ones to copy.

Witholderbrother.jpg

I had to make the main section in three pieces due to having to rout the flutes into the curved upper section. Also my bandsaw isn't man enough to handle material this thick. I cut the main sections out on the bandsaw and then routed the flutes and glued them together trimming them with a bearing guided router.

DSCN2684.jpg

The lower moulding was a head scratcher and I also had to make this in three seperate pieces by making a hockey stick profile and two curved sections with a panel raising cutter in the table. I then made some small bull nosed mouldings for the bottom.

Assemblingmouldings.jpg

The backplates were the easy part which were cut to shape on the bandsaw and then rebated with the RAS and dado cutter.

Backplates.jpg

Finally they were all fixed to the backplates with screws. I made six of these along with 9 lower mouldings and 12 backplates. I also had to make 18 mtrs of moulding to fit between the corbels but these were a simple curved section with two flutes. Thanks for looking.

Alan,

It looks like those came out extremely well! Is the customer refurbishing an old Victorian building? I hope so, I see so many of those buildings get torn down instead of being restored to their former glory. You really have to admire all the architectural details in those old buildings, it's really nice to see someone helping to keep them alive.

Yes tdale51, the customer is refurbishing two Victorian buildings that are side by side. He also owns more property in the area and some of them are listed buildings so there will be more work for me in the future I am glad to say. The customer picked these up today and was very impressed and promised to use me again for his other 'projects'. Great result I thought.