How do I block out noise and still get phone calls, listen to music etc?

davestanton

Hi everyone.

For years I have been looking for a "do it all" solution for wearing earmuffs to protect my hearing but at the same time allows me to stay in touch with the world.

Ideally, I would like a headset that can answer my mobile phone, my landline, listen to the radio, music from mobile phone or television (if I get one in the shop later on). It has to have enough range to cover maybe 200-300 feet. It would also be nice to be able to talk into a boom mic that has extranious noise cancelling properties as well. I have seen guys riding motorbikes with half face helmets and a small arm with mic attached that I am told are very effective. Is there such a devise around?

I have been wanting the same thing for a while Dave. I sent a buddy of mine and email who happens to be a speaker designer and audio engineer. He is on the top ten list in the world. I asked him about creating a set of headphones that would cancel a specific range of noise, or better yet be able to click on noise cancelation when a certain range started. I also wanted the ability to answer cell phone calls and listen to my ipod via blue tooth. I have not heard back from him yet but when i do i will let you know. These are the kind of projects he likes to take on.

Hey Dave, I'm sure you've looked into similiar ear muffs. I use AO Safety Worktunes: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19546&filter=worktunes

You can plug and audio source into it. I used to plug in my ipod and even an audio extension cable from my television. That was until I got an fm transmitter from ebay. Now I plug my tv, ipod or computer into the fm transmitter then I can listen to whatever I want over the airwaves. I'm sure you could plug in your phone or telephone through an audio out jack too.

I just plug my iphone into my peltor worktunes. Gives me hearing protection, ipod, and telephone. I can hear if the phone rings, and then I can turn everything off and call back. I wouldn't want to take a phone call with dangerous tools running, anyway. I've also used the iphone earbuds with micropohone under muff style hearing protection. That works well, but I still wouldn't answer a call with tools running.

I have a pair of the AO Safety Worktunes, and I haven't been happy with them. I use an iPhone. To be able to use it with the Worktunes, I needed to buy an additional cable to be able to use the headphones as a hands-free device. The problem was that I then had two wires to deal with going from the headphones to the iPhone. The wires kept getting snagged on something. I would even put the wires up through my shirt to reduce the chance, but they would still get caught to the point where it broke the headphones port on my iPhone.

After that I tried some AO Safety/3M Tekk 99014 Blockade Noise Isolating Earbuds with the Worktunes over top of the ear buds. It worked well for a while until the same thing kept happening, the wires kept getting caught. This time the male plug snapped off of the headphones. UGH!

Now I have some regular ear buds in, with the Worktunes on top. It's not ideal, but I haven't gotten them caught bad enough to damage something... yet.

Ideally I would love to have Bluetooth enabled Worktunes. That would be awesome.

By the way, I listen to music and podcasts with the headphones on. I need to be able to hear if I get a call or an email while I'm working, but I don't talk on the phone while I am working. I usually stop the work if I can, ask them to call me back, or let it ring and call when I get a chance.

Charles - Please let us know if your friend comes up with something.

Jonathan

======================

I think having a radio playing in the back ground is ok but not blasting through head phones while trying to work with power tools. Part of using the tools properly is being able to hear the motor load. I put my phone on vibrate in my pocket if I get the machine off and phone answered then great if not that is what voice mail is for. Id rather keep my attention on the tool which allow me to keep my fingers.

Don

I just ordered the model mc3 for my iPhone. I have an older pair of Etymotics and really like them.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hscomp.html

And I agree, I do not use any hearing protection when I use the table saw, and use in the ear foam ear plugs when I use a router. A mistake with either of those could cause a lot of damage to ones self.

The pair of Etymotic headphones I do have are great for sanding, yard work, the gym. I highly recommend them.

Hey Dave, I'm sure you've looked into similiar ear muffs. I use AO Safety Worktunes: http://www.rockler.c...ilter=worktunes

You can plug and audio source into it. I used to plug in my ipod and even an audio extension cable from my television. That was until I got an fm transmitter from ebay. Now I plug my tv, ipod or computer into the fm transmitter then I can listen to whatever I want over the airwaves. I'm sure you could plug in your phone or telephone through an audio out jack too.

Hi Tim. Can you give me a link to the fm transmitter you have?

Hey I have the plantronics backbeat 906. They are stereo bluetooth headphones and the 906 version comes with its own bluetooth transmitter to turn any device with a headphone jack into a wireless transmitter.

I use them for everything the only limitation is a 40 ft range with the bluetooth transmitter but if you use bluetooth from your iphone range is infinite. They even use the mic when paused to boost sound from your enviroment so when your not using them you dont get a muffed sound like earplugs do.

post-5469-0-34768800-1320328580_thumb.jp

personally, I dont want to be bothered in the shop.  enjoy my shop time. Its limited enough without being bothered with phone calls etc. I enjoy my music to. power tools dont run continuously they run a short time and shut off and run a short time and shut off, if there is a song I like then I stop and enjoy it and start again.

Not sure on the decibel levels from saws, but I know they make automatic earmuffs for shooting. They amplify ambient noise (animal movement, etc) and block out anything over a certain decibel level. Some of these are VERY expensive (over $2000), but there are cheaper versions. Here are a couple I found on Amazon

Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff

Caldwell E-Max Low Profile Electronic Muffs

Just take them off when you need to answer the phone

They also make Active Noise Reduction headphones, which reduce constant noises. They analyze the incoming sound and use speakers to generate the "opposite" sound to cancel it out. So, they let in changing sounds like speech, but block machine noise. They are usually used for helicopter and airplane noise, but I imagine that they would also work well for woodworking. They don't work well for shooting. I have a pair of inexpensive ANR headphones, but I haven't tried them in the shop because they aren't really designed to protect hearing. I bet the ones designed for chopper pilots would work well for woodworking, but the ones I found on amazon started at over $300.