New Jointer cleaning advice needed.

aarontheanimal

I am setting up a new jointer. The bed and associated parts are coated with grease. The instructions state "this coating may be removed with a soft cloth moistened with kerosene (do not use acetone, gasoline, or lacquer thinner for this purpose)." However, Kerosene is available locally only in 2&1/2 gallon cans, and I have no other use for the kerosene. I was hoping someone might advise me as to another suitable cleaner for this purpose.

I had no problem removing it with mineral spirits, but I'm also assuming you have the same grease :) I have a bottle of "green" mineral spirits. I prefer it for cleaning brushes, hands, etc. because it coats better, doesn't flash off quickly at all, and is low VOC. I use it to remove new-tool grease. Since "green" mineral spirits includes some water, be sure to seal the top when done although you should do that anyway :)

I used a degreaser I bought at HD that is non-toxic and is citrus based. Not only did it smell nice, but it did a great job cleaning up my new jointer (2 years ago). It was even effective with the help of an old brush in cleaning out the grease between the carbide cutters on the spiral cutterhead.

Mike