Removing mild nicotine smell

usacomp2k3

We recently acquired a used crib for our son. The only problem is that the garage that was used to store it apparently was storing some other furniture that had some severe nicotine stink. As such, the crib now has 3rd hand smoke residue. It's solid wood construction with some sort of stain on it. (the Ikea Leksvik line)

Any recommendations for getting the stain/smell out? If all I was going to do was cover it up, I'd put another layer of finish on top to seal the smells in, but seeing as how young teeth have the potential to gnaw on the wood, that seems like a bad idea. So I'd rather try to remove the permeation directly. The best solution would be to disassemble the crib, sand each piece down to bare wood and then apply a finish. I'm trying to avoid that much work.

Any recommendations for less time-consuming alternatives that would come pretty close to achieving the same result?

If the piece is already finished wouldn't it just be on the surface? I'm wondering if scuffing the surface, sanding the stained area and spraying it down with something like Ozium would work then hit it with some sealer (just spit balling for a cheaper alternative for all I know it could destroy the finish and force you down to the sand to bare and refinish).

• Like 1

If the piece is already finished wouldn't it just be on the surface? I'm wondering if scuffing the surface, sanding the stained area and spraying it down with something like Ozium would work then hit it with some sealer (just spit balling for a cheaper alternative for all I know it could destroy the finish and force you down to the sand to bare and refinish).

You dont have to strip but you do have to clean and seal. Ozium works for molds not nicotine. o3 is really the only way to kill it and even then the most sensitive of noses will pick up on it. We have used a o3 bag for years to kill the funk on antiques. Respraying with a water base will usually work well over most commercial finishes on factory furniture.

Don

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...